1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Actual Book Club

Discussion in 'Book club' started by peggylu, Jul 23, 2017.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I read it before the film... liked it for what it was... but yeah, the film was a butchering... shame really as I liked ''Interview...''

peggylu likes this.
  2. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

If you're just browsing the thread and have joined us at page 10 then here is...

The ABC (Actual Book Club) virtual book club READING LIST for SEPT-DEC 2017

All are very welcome to dip in and out throughout the year - you can just join in for a month where the title interests you :) or try something new!

The ABC THREAD LINK:
    https://community.tes.com/threads/the-actual-book-club.761534/page-2

Titles for this reading list gratefully received from
    @Motherofchikkins @frangipani123
    @galerider123

SEPT: 'The Sense of an Ending' by Julian Barnes.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sense-Endi...=1504005890&sr=1-1&keywords=a+sense+of+ending

OCT: "Tin Man" by Sarah Winman

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tin-Man-Sa...8&qid=1504004759&sr=8-1&keywords=sarah+winman

NOV: "Different Class" by Joanne Harris

https://www.amazon.com/Different-Class-Joanne-Harris/dp/0385619235

DEC: "Perfect" by Rachel Joyce

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Ra...8&qid=1504005558&sr=1-6&keywords=rachel+joyce

Thoughts and discussions about each book posted at the end of each month.

Happy Reading! :)

Rivermill likes this.
  3. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I popped into the library and reserved October's book, Tin Man, yesterday while I was out shopping. Just to make sure I can definitely get it at the start of next month.

I feel quite proud of myself for some unfathomable reason. :) If this book club gets me using the library regularly again then it has been a force for good.

4. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I am delighted to say that my library have agreed to buy Tin Man.

I do love my library :D

sabrinakat and peggylu like this.
  5. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

How very obliging and kind of them.

How's everyone getting on with September's book?

Not started it, halfway through it, dumped it as unreadable, finished it, enjoying it so far?

6. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Finished it in a few days. Chinese food of literature: finished it out of hunger but left oddly unfulfilled.

7. Motherofchikkins

I haven't started it yet. I'm saving it for a few days before, so that it will be fresh in my head.

I'm reading the third Mr Mercedes book tho' :)

peggylu likes this.
  8. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

:D

9. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Most of us seem to have read, or almost read, the whole trilogy now. We are a bit of a prolific book club if I do say so myself. :cool:

Motherofchikkins likes this.
  10. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Agreed. Finished in one sitting (in bed reading last night). Felt it was a mountain made of a molehill (the plot); good writing, though.

peggylu likes this.
  11. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Finished just the other day...will probably reread before discussion day as it's not too long.:)

peggylu likes this.
  12. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

That's a good idea @galerider123 I may re-read it too, just a quick scan through on the 28th/29th ready for the last day of the month.

The 30th is on a Saturday so hopefully most of us may have a bit of time to post our thoughts on the book without work stuff distracting us.

galerider123 likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just finished it...

Erm... yeah.

peggylu likes this.
  14. Motherofchikkins

I finished the last Hodges/Mr Mercedes book today. I got a bit weepy at the end.

Read "The Sense of an Ending" this afternoon. It was too hot to do anything else. I look forward to discussing it! :)

peggylu likes this.
  15. secretsiren

Are we late? Or have I got my dates wrong?

I am so knackered I don't even know what day it is right now...

Motherofchikkins and peggylu like this.
  16. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I know just how you feel. I'm the same. Can't believe I've only been back two full weeks I'm exhausted. Today I taught 6 consecutive periods, followed by two parent conferences and a pastoral group meeting where we discussed how data can be the key to becoming caring form tutors. :rolleyes:

Anyway, if you mean are we late for discussing September's book then no. We said we would all chip in on the last day of the month which is this coming Saturday.

17. secretsiren

Oh yeah. Sorry. For some reason I thought it was the 25th then realised that was last month.

Good thing I'm not in charge of, like, small children or anything with a memory like th....

Oh.

galerider123, peggylu and marlin like this.
  18. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

19. Motherofchikkins

:D:D:D

20. Motherofchikkins

It’s Saturday. Yay!!!

I'll be brave, go first and hope that everyone else didn't absolutely love it :)

So....*deep breath*

I wanted to like this book. I really did and I thought that the opening visual imagery was promising, but it was downhill from there. There's obviously more to a good book than just good writing...

I love books with unreliable narrators, but when you’re told in advance that the memories may not be true, then all there is for the reader to do is wait, knowing that what you’re reading may not actually be as written, and hope that the truth will unfold sooner rather than later. For such a short book I became bored very quickly waiting for this!

I found most of the characters two dimensional. The narrator Tony was well portrayed, but since he was clearly so selfish and self-obsessed I never actually liked him, of course.

The denouement was disappointing. Yes, the letter that he wrote was nastier than he’d remembered, and yes, he’d sent his friend a postcard of a bridge that people jumped from, but the suggestion that he was therefore to blame for both his friend’s suicide and driving him into the arms of his girlfriend’s mother was unrealistic, since it completely removes any possibility of free will.

Given that when the narrator first meets his Veronica’s family she deliberately told her family that he would like to sleep in, even tho’ that there was absolutely no evidence of this, deliberately leaving him alone in the house with her flirtatious mother, then it’s just as likely that she did the same with Adrian, and I thought that her anger towards Tony years later was unrealistic.

I also thought that the later exchanges between Veronica and Tony, both their meetings and emails, didn’t quite ring true. I think if she was still that angry with him then she would have told him more bluntly and not have these back and forth emails and odd meetings.

Did anyone else get the mathematical formula thing? I couldn’t be bothered working it out by this point! And any suggestions as to why Veronica’s mother left him $500? It seemed odd.

Anyway... looking forward to hearing what everyone else thought. :)