1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Actual Book Club

Discussion in 'Book club' started by peggylu, Jul 23, 2017.

1. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Just out of curiosity, has there ever been an actual book club here on the Book Club forum?

Would it work if people who frequent this area of the community took turns to suggest a book, say, roughly once every month -6 weeks. (Doesn't have to be set in stone - probably need to allow longer in term time. :rolleyes:)

The person choosing the book should name an end date for completing it, then everyone who had managed to find the time to read it would share their thoughts over the week following the end date.

The person who had picked that book would then nominate the next person to provide a title and end date (from those who had commented) and so on.

So for example. If I started it off with a nice easy holiday read.

Book: Mr Mercedes by Stephen King

Reading end date: 24th August 2017

Meet back on this thread on 25th August to discuss.

Would it work?
    Has it already been tried and rejected by those who've been on here longer than me? I can but ask. :)

mathsmutt likes this.
  2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I quite like the idea, but might not be able to join you for this one

peggylu likes this.
  3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Think I would struggle with being motivated reading something I would not be that drawn to ? Too many books, too little time and all that ;)

peggylu likes this.
  4. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Thanks for your thoughts on the idea. :)

These points could actually be advantages to having a 'virtual' book club on a forum instead of physically going to a venue once a month, where you then feel obliged to read the book even if it's not one you are drawn to.

People could dip in or out as they wished. So if you don't fancy the sound of the chosen book just pop along at the end date to see what the next book selection is or to see whether people's comments pique your interest in giving it a go.

5. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

BOOK CLUB READ FOR JULY/AUG...

...nothing too worthy or too long to start with...a nice throwaway holiday/read - a detective story.

Meet back on this thread on 25th August to discuss. Then someone else will pick a new book for AUG/SEPT.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

This sounds OK for me. I'm a very slow reader and also have loads of more special interest stuff I want to read.
    I'm falling out of love with RL book clubs, much as I being introduced to new authors/genres etc - too often I find I'm reading stuff that just isn't 'me'.
    Online would also be a chance to dip in when there's a book we've already read.

peggylu likes this.
  7. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I'm exactly the same with the RLBC version @lizziescat

Also it always seemed to be my turn to host the meeting at my house when I had hit an especially busy time with school stuff.

Let's hope some other people fancy joining a VBC and giving it a go too :)

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I don't fancy the Stephen King (not a big thriller reader) but I'll pop in and see what the next one is. I like coming across new authors people recommend.

peggylu likes this.
  9. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Brilliant @Flere-Imsaho great to have you on board. :)

(I don't think this particular Stephen King offering is much like his usual stuff).

10. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

Sounds like an interesting idea.

peggylu likes this.
  11. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Well we can only give it a go and see if it gets interesting as we go along. @frangipani123 :) What have we all got to lose? I'm just hoping to discover a few books I might never have chosen myself.

12. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

Oooo, I'll join. I have to get a new book soon anyway (because I've read the 615 I already have and need a new challenge...:oops:) and I love Mr King!

frangipani123 and peggylu like this.
  13. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Welcome @secretsiren :)

Book 616 hopefully will be enjoyable :D

Chat to you about it on the 25th Aug.

secretsiren and lizziescat like this.
  14. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

REMINDER OF BOOK CLUB READ FOR JULY/AUG...for those just having a quick peep at this thread.

...nothing too worthy or too long to start with...a nice throwaway holiday/read - a detective story.

Meet back on this thread on 25th August to discuss. Then someone else will pick a new book for AUG/SEPT.

frangipani123 likes this.
  15. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I've ordered the book!

sabrinakat, peggylu and lizziescat like this.
  16. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Brilliant @frangipani123 :)

The hard bit is going to be keeping us early starters on the book quiet about it until the 25th :p

frangipani123 likes this.
  17. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

18. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

It might be an idea to start asking for book suggestions that people might like to read next now. You could then have a debate/poll to choose (and perhaps set a few books in advance). I think that involving more people in the decision might increase participation? What do other people think?

peggylu likes this.
  19. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

I think it's a brilliant idea, I agree it would be much more inclusive and I really like the advance books idea too, if people had already read an 'advance' book they could join in the subsequent discussion about it. There's absolutely no reason why a online book club has to follow the same format as a RL one.

Suggestions could be posted up to the end reading date each month, (one suggestion per person to make it fair) and then a poll posted for people to vote on.

The only 2 drawbacks being, following and monitoring lots of book suggestions and keeping track of advance book final reading dates (I can't always get to log in here everyday) plus, I haven't a clue how to produce or post a poll. :oops:

Collaboration would be required to make these ideas work. :)

20. peggylu

peggylu Star commenter

Are you going to read this months book @galerider123 ?