1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Academic Year 2020-2021 Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Those of you who live in the affected areas - would a local lockdown mean I wouldn't be able to collect my grandchildren from school? The plan is that I would pick them up Wed, Thurs, Friday, and bring them here until 6. Afterschool club is not restarting yet anyway. If there's a restriction on visiting other households, my son is stuffed for childcare.
    What's happening where you are?

2. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

AFAIK, you could pick them up but they couldn't come in your house or garden. That's how daft it all is.

Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I did think some would not return at all, handing in their notice during lockdown or maybe by half term to go by Christmas.

I've read with rather gloomy interest about those of you who have returned in the last few days and I have to admit, been very thankful that I haven't had to do it.

I think it appalling though inevitable that all the publicity has been about how great it is to get kids back to school again with virtually no mention of the teachers who have to cope with so much more while often being the most vulnerable people in the school, nor of those kids who are very anxious about going back.

It seems to be very black and white with schools, "all kids suffered being off and all kids are happy to be back", which even I as an outsider now can see is waaaay from the truth. It's a pity there couldn't be some situation as with people working from offices where some have gone back and some haven't rather than the binary situation we have, though I note some seem to be be making their own minds up:

More than 100,000 pupils in Scotland are absent from school with attendance down to 84.5%, according to Scottish government figures.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53983392

This seems to be an ideal opportunity for the flipped classroom idea to be used more widely, except all the months that it (or other ideas) could have been prepared for are over and now it's back to an attempt at business as usual or nothing. If the government couldn't see the blindingly obvious flaws in their plans for GCSE and A level grades, they certainly won't be able to anticipate anything a little more involved.

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I caught up with a couple of friends who are still teaching, today. Hearing about the current working conditions in action fairly horrified me and once again I felt so thankful to have retired from it all. One of them is teaching in 24 different classrooms over the week. What with the non-existent morning break (supervision of students required during that time) and the constant movement between lessons, they'll be burnt out by half-term. Something will have to give.

5. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

That’s a great post and exactly how I and all the other staff I’ve spoken to feel.

We won’t be able to keep this up.

6. unpleasantsmells

unpleasantsmells New commenter

New username but old member of TES. I'm not allowed to comment on most threads apparently, which is quite strange.
    Days 1 and 2 were INSET days for us and none of the big questions were answered such as what to do if a child develops symptoms in class - where are we meant to send them and who's supervising them? What about the students who spit deliberately? How do we make sure only four students are in the toilets at any one time? Where do we work during our PPA time as there's nowhere set aside?
    But I did have to chuckle at the 'teacher Maginot line' in each room - the bit of tape on the floor that tells you where to stand to remain socially distanced. In one of my teaching rooms the tape is about six inches from the wall and as someone who needs quite a wide turning circle, I'm hanging over the tape by quite a bit. And the desks are so close together that no actual human child could squeeze in there. So we're all going to be standing on top of each other.
    The best news is that the windows in that classroom are painted shut so no ventilation!
    I'm not sure this is going to end well.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

At least (for now) we can stay in our own rooms but whatever else this may be it is not "normal". I said a while back I thought this would be the most most difficult year of my teaching career and nothing I've seen and heard so far has done anything to change that opinion.

We will all be burned out by Christmas.

Jamvic, ACOYEAR8, Sally006 and 3 others like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

And catching and spreading the virus to boot. Indeed that seems like the way to spread a virus by placing teachers in several different classrooms a day. Still that’s some HTs / CEOs for you - safe in their distant offices and doing very little except to use smoke and mirrors

9. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I agree and this needs to be though about not just by individual SLTs but a nationwide approach

Jamvic likes this.
  10. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

The fact that you cannot open your windows is in itself a H&S issue which should be reported to SLT immediately.
    We have crime scene tape across the carpet/floor coverings. I'm going to do a chalk outline on the floor by the board next week.

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

We'll walk around for three hours in the rain then. OR we'll go into a restaurant with a bunch of strangers and eat very slowly. :rolleyes:

Jamvic, jellycowfish and agathamorse like this.
  12. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

24 different classrooms?!!! I thought I was badly off having to teach in 6!

Sally006 and Jamvic like this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Friday was one of the most chaotic days I have ever spent in a school.

agathamorse and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  14. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

That is insane! No way would I agree to that, they could do a running jump. Practically a different room for every lesson over an average 20 out of 25 period week. Ridiculous.

ACOYEAR8 and Sally006 like this.
  15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

By the time we get to October half term - most classroom teachers are going to be utterly exhausted.

16. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

If we make it that far! As well as all the Covid measures, it's a shock to the system to be in school every day and actually teaching properly for the 1st time in nearly 6 months. I think I've actually lost my nerve a bit :(

agathamorse, ACOYEAR8 and Sally006 like this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm more worried about all the things that I cannot do any longer and whether my lessons are going to be interesting.

A lot of teachers are going to pack it in this year.

agathamorse and Sally006 like this.
  18. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

Maybe there might have to be a return to more basic, chalk and talk teaching. Didn’t do me any harm!!! ;)o_O

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  19. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

Can the bright young things do chalk and talk?. A school I was in 5 years ago had a power failure one morning , a few minutes into lesson 1. It quickly became obvious we would be without electricity for most of the day. By lunchtime some of the younger staff were in melt down, no idea how to teach without powerpoint.

agathamorse and Jamvic like this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I hate power points - I never use one unless I absolutely have to but I'm going to have to use them a lot more this year. I will have to spend a lot of time modifying the ones my colleague has done though.

agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.