1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Academic Year 2020-2021 Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Our one and only Inset tomorrow with Yr 7 and 12 in on Friday. The whole morning tomorrow will be in the hall, 2m apart but over 100 staff. Taking my flask of tea plus own lunch to avoid crushes of people as much as possible. Not expecting to sleep well tonight.

rararasputin, Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  2. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Update...all 100 plus staff in the hall, spaced apart no more than 1m and only about 6 wearing masks, myself being one. I had my breaks outside on my own so I could take off my mask.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Inset day today - was REALLY dreading it with all the changes we will have this year and I didn't sleep that well last night.

However it wasn't too bad and we did get lunch provided although it was a pale shadow of what we would normally have got.

FINALLY got my new timetable and was able to email myself the set lists before everything crashed again later in the day.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I have one class of 32 big Year 11s - there is NO WAY I can accommodate such a group in my room maintaining social distancing.

5. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

Mask + glasses + 30 kids in a warm room = 1 very hot, cross and half-blind teacher!

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Was told today that we are advised to use gloves for marking books - immediately emailed the Mrs who works in Scientific Research to scrounge me a few pairs of disposable gloves..

rararasputin and Sally006 like this.
  7. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Full class of year 7s today but nit much mask wearing though younger staff are...

rararasputin likes this.
  8. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

It’s all a joke. No one is really properly social distancing and that’s just the staff! Here we are separating class bubbles when an outside IT (PPA) cover teacher arrives having been in another school in a different LA (one in a local lockdown). How can that be right?

Reading the posts on here, the picture in most schools is very similar.

9. Curae

Curae Star commenter

Hope you are okay staying safe must be respected and not doing so can cause others much stress.

Jamvic, Catgirl1964, Sally006 and 2 others like this.
  10. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

All years in today. All bubbles mixed when queuing in corridors. No morning break and all pupils to spend lunch in form rooms. It was a LONG day.

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Poor you. I really sympathise as I would hate to be working in those conditions. At this rate it will be a massively long term and people will be burnt out by Christmas. I hope it does improve for you!

Jamvic, Sally006 and agathamorse like this.
  12. red_observer

Gosh. That doesn’t sound well planned

Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

This is unsustainable - you will all be shattered by half term.

Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We will have most students in on Monday and everyone in next Tuesday - year groups will be in bubbles and confined to various parts of the site. What will happen at lunchtime is anyone's guess but I suspect they will be very good about it.

Am quite relieved this evening - I thought today would be hell to be honest and it really wasn't. Will go to sleep soon as I didn't sleep much last night.

Went out on the bike after tea - a definite chill in the air and the darkness is rolling in earlier. Still a few House Martins around at the hospital although the majority of the colony headed home a few days ago. In a couple of days time these last stragglers will head off and Summer will be officially over.

15. red_observer

Definitely cooler and darker this evening.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Staying safe from COVID-19 is one thing, managing to stay sane with all these contradictory regulations for a sustained period, is another.

17. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

We had our first day with the children today. Arrivals, departures and handwashing were the most challenging elements of the day.

Aquamarina1234 and agathamorse like this.
  18. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

We're already feeling tired and it's only day 2!

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We had the most ill tempered department meeting ever this afternoon - it was a very trying day all round and then once it became apparent that two people hadn't done the work they were supposed to have done over Summer it all started to get a bit fractious.

Call me naive but until I started to really think about what I can (and more importantly can't) do in my lessons now I really began to get an idea for how hard this is going to be. For some of the others it will be business as usual but I will be really hamstrung by all these regulations and guidelines. When I see my various groups I am just going to be honest - I suspect they know that things will not be as they were.

All of the computers in our rooms were removed last night and in their place are new laptops. Fine - but when we got the cables to connect everything up - all our interactive white boards wouldn't work and we can't access our work files. I managed to get hold of the IT guy and most of these problems are now solved - but I'm glad I got all my class lists sorted yesterday because they couldn't be accessed today.

I think a lot of teachers towards the end of their careers (like me) will start to think about early retirement now. It could be a year before we are allowed to do things like class practicals again and it is not beyond the realms of possibility that they never return.

Jamvic, stopwatch, Sally006 and 5 others like this.
  20. resmithy

resmithy New commenter

Full teaching day today. I’m exhausted! Moving to all the different rooms is draining. Wondering how I ever managed to do this pre-lockdown.