1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Academic Year 2020-2021 Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Aug 26, 2020.

1. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Same here. In for INSET Thursday and Friday and it all begins on Monday next week.

emilystrange and Jamvic like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I got my dates wrong - we are on the same schedule but I i'm also in all day tomorrow on a First Aid Course.

I am expecting Thursday and Friday to be two very long and trying days.

emilystrange and agathamorse like this.
  3. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Kids in tomorrow. So many routines, procedures not properly discussed. So frustrating. So many contradictory practices. As said on a different thread many staff ignoring social distancing, crowding round the single coffee station in the hall (staff room still being reconstructed as I left) for our full staff training. So many just don’t seem to care. I fully expected that folks might get fed up with safety measures over time and so lapses would occur but this was day one!

4. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

As the oldest teacher in my school, I will be wearing a mask if I have to sit in a hall/classroom with my colleagues for CPD when we formally return on Thursday. Once the kids come back on Monday, I’ll be using the Dolce Gusto machine in my classroom cupboard rather than going to the staffroom. Having lost a stone and a half since the end of the summer term, there’s the additional bonus of avoiding cakes and biscuits.:D

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I was the second-oldest teacher in my last teaching job, 2006. I was 50.

6. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Wow! :eek:

agathamorse and cassandramark2 like this.
  7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

One of the maths teachers (who is in his early 60s has just retired) - I think there are a few others who are still older than me left.

Biggest irony in my department is my immediate colleague is about half my age - but he has half of my energy.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I will be happy to return to the teaching world - but I will miss the freedom and routines that I have got used to during these times.

Somebody else will have to feed the Ducks and Swans at the park tomorrow morning at 7.30 am. They were all waiting for me this morning.

9. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

I’m only a couple of years younger than you are today:eek:

Sally006 likes this.
  10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I always kept in with the photocopier person and she would slip me a few copies done on some SLT account or other that wasn't mine.

maggie m likes this.
  11. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Did first day with primary children yesterday, they have amazed & pleased me at how sensible they were.

The day went much smoother than anticipated, I was much happier teaching face to face after Zoom teaching since April. Long may this continue.

bombaysapphire and smoothnewt like this.
  12. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I'm also the oldest member of staff at my school. First of three inset days today, but no whole staff get together at all until Friday morning. Time in classrooms and online training until then. So I've got two days to decide whether I will want to wear a mask on Friday. We're a very small school - phase group meetings are no more than 8 people at the very most.

Curae likes this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Did a very enjoyable first aid course today and now have two pretty grim looking days of INSET.

Still no timetables - promised for tomorrow but I'm not hopeful.

sunshineneeded, Sally006 and Curae like this.
  14. Curae

Curae Star commenter

(((((((())))))))

Jamvic and sunshineneeded like this.
  15. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Tomorrow is our first start when y7 come in turn gradually the rest by Friday.

the inset days have drained me a big with their sheer pointlessness so I am having a curry to get over it ready for the battle tomorrow.

16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Always be wary of slipping anything to anyone in return for a favour ;):eek::oops:

17. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Ours returned today. Very full on in primary and hard to establish routines that seem so unnatural to them. Everything is full of contractions isn’t it? Fielded the first parental moan that their child was next to someone they don’t like and next to them all day!! Oh dear but no, I will not be rearranging the seating plan after day one when all others (including the one whose parent moaned) seemed so happy and settled. We have to reintegrate children into the world where they are one of 30.

18. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Well said Sally and good on you

agathamorse and Sally006 like this.
  19. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Our first session was socially distanced inset in the Hall. That was ok with the numbers we have and with windows open. I didn’t join the queue for coffee. Not much distance there.

Jamvic and Sally006 like this.
  20. rararasputin

rararasputin Lead commenter

Kids in tomorrow - eeekkkkk!