1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Academic Year 2020-2021 Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Aug 26, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

She's kicked us out because she doesn't want her "space" invaded.

For a H+S freak - something like this is right up their street.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Schools that have their teachers supervising their students all lunchtimes are going to have massive staff absenteeism soon when everyone get too tired.

We all have new laptops - they are very slow and a number have developed issues within a few days.

My biggest problem is my new shoes - I haven't worn a pair of dress leather shoes for a year and I have terrible blisters on my heels as a result.

I'm sure things will settle down again in due course if we don't close again.

agathamorse and red_observer like this.
  3. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

We’ve been told we can go into ANY staff room area if they are free.

4. red_observer

Of course we don’t HAVE to supervise and if we do we can get £6 a half hour! Not even two pints of bitter round here !

Sally006 likes this.
  5. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Now I’ve had cramp this week. I’ve put it down to lots more pacing up and down corridors and standing than occurred in the last 6 months. Hopefully I’ll adapt and it will pass. The steps should be a good thing. I’m so glad I’m part-time - don’t think I’d make it to HT otherwise. Kids dropping like flies and waiting forever to get tested. So far staff ok. I’ve always maintained the virus was actually doing the rounds at our place in Jan/Feb. Maybe we have some resistance still but I’m not taking any chances. Ona happier note the weather is gorgeous today. Washing on the line and I’m contemplating a nice walk.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We're already planning a walk tomorrow.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Sympathies, Peakster. As a woman in Primary, I’m still getting away with sandals (smart ones). I’m dreading the point when I need to be fully socked and wearing proper shoes.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I got away with wearing a pair of smart black training shoes for all of last year (until we closed anyway) but they are now covered with paint after some jobs I was doing this summer. I had this pair for ages so thought I'd wear them for this new academic year.

They have given me the worst heel blisters I've ever had.

Sally006 and agathamorse like this.
  9. red_observer

Enjoy Sally!

10. install

install Star commenter

Science yes - not others in my experience.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. nervousned

nervousned Lead commenter

I've known CDT to have them.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

So not many subjects really

13. red_observer

Small but significant numbers off today mostly y10/11 ages. Some staff off with “colds” but I’m suggesting they are trying to brave it out.

warm this week as well...

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Prep room latest...

We are not allowed in....period.

We cannot even use the kettle to make coffee.

15. red_observer

This sounds like an obvious case of bullying.

report em

agathamorse likes this.
  16. install

install Star commenter

To be fair - not if it is concerned with spreading the virus. The answer is to bring own kettles.

17. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Lead commenter

I didn't foresee the following problem before re-start, can anyone suggest a solution?:

Giving out worksheets.... I suddenly realised I was licking my fingers to allow me to give out individual sheets (just after I'd reminded the class not to touch their faces!) I have seen bank tellers with a little moist foam sponge thing in the past, perhaps something similar but portable?

18. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

We have dettol wipes in all classes. Why not moisten your finger tips with these?

peter12171 likes this.