1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The Academic Year 2020-2021 Thread

Discussion in 'Personal' started by peakster, Aug 26, 2020.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I thought I'd start a thread to "celebrate" what is certainly going to be an interesting year ahead.

So if you have an anecdote to share or have a moan or whatever then this is the place to do it.

Hang on to your masks everyone.

WB, Curae, smoothnewt and 3 others like this.
  2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I'll kick off, I have no idea what to wear next week :eek:, smart casual and easily washable is advised as opposed to usual smart/office wear incl suits/jackets... it might be difficult to gauge and I have some new Suits/Jackets bought last year... (secondary obviously)... a dilemma... help! What does smart casual /washable look like in 2020?

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I have new shirts, new shoes and new trousers for training day.

What I don't have is a timetable or any real idea what I'll be teaching next week.

But at least my fence didn't blow down in the wind last night.

4. needabreak

Pops out the back to check fences...

5. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I think I’m keen to know what exactly is happening in our place ... we’ve not had much effective communication in recent times eg masks, timings of meetings and general rules about things. It’s so far all up in the air.

Catgirl1964, agathamorse and Sally006 like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Check the ridge tiles.

Curae and agathamorse like this.
  7. needabreak

:eek:

Curae likes this.
  8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Stocking up on masks and gel since I'll be back on the Granny school run next week. I haven't minded having the littlies over here because their parents have been so careful with them, but enclosed contact with 60 other people between them once school starts is a different matter.

Curae and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. vannie

vannie Star commenter

We've only had the bare bones so far. I'm expecting to be bombarded with information on Tuesday. In our socially distanced staff meeting in the hall.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'm sure a picture of the base structure would elicit helpful suggestions.

Lalad likes this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think I will continue with covid-19ware; pyjama bottoms and fleecy dressing gown.

ETA No images of this base structure will be posted.

Catgirl1964 and Nanny Ogg like this.
  12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Highlight of the year so far!

I'm going to stick with gardening wear.

Nanny Ogg and Sally006 like this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've just found out that I am on a first aid course on Wednesday - this may well get me out of a department meeting.

Happy days.

Curae, Norsemaid, strawbs and 2 others like this.
  14. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

I don’t even know where to begin! Likewise with the hall inset scenario - not happy about that. Can’t we be a bit more imaginative and spend time in rooms with TAs and then rotate folks through for the imparting of the essential logistical stuff? No. I wouldn’t mind but have just learned what is on the agenda. What pandemic? Let’s get on with edubollocks (love that phrase, think it was you Peakster who came up with it) like we usually do!! Where have these people been all this time to not realise we are in a serious situation here?

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Edubollox - a word coined by my Dad to describe training days.

Just looked at the agenda for Tuesday - looks like fun, fun, fun.

Norsemaid, agathamorse and Sally006 like this.
  16. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

I agree. Surely they can’t be bundling us all into the Hall? Time for imaginative management though I realise that’s an oxymoron!

17. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Just back from an induction morning for vulnerable coming into Secondary. Great fun and good to see that even after a sustained absence, I can still teach !

Curae, strawbs, smoothnewt and 3 others like this.
  18. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Local lockdowns by Christmas. Many schools closed. Announcement in the New Year that exams are cancelled again and all students need to have done a mock exam of some sort.

All students and staff will be masked at my school. Not in UK.

19. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Not had an agenda. I think they want us all to turn up!

20. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Star commenter

We start with an INSET day on Tuesday, but no all-staff meeting. Heads of Department have been briefed and will relay information to their depts. We're not allowed to use our dept. offices (they are all minuscule); each dept has been allocated a classroom which has been cleared apart from a desk for each staff member, spread out so we can socially distance. All whole staff meetings/briefings have been cancelled.

I am really not looking forward to going back but I do think school has done all they possibly can.