1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The 5Ps: a different way of looking at lesson planning

Discussion in 'Primary' started by DocWol, May 17, 2016.

1. DocWol

DocWol New commenter

Originally I put this in the "secondary" area but it applies as much to the primary phase as it does to secondary. I came up with this whilst head of a middle school and used the this idea with both our secondary and primary practitioners. I went through OFSTED last year and every single lesson went brilliantly. When I conducted the feedback the teachers led off by evaluating their own lessons and I had little to do (they used the vocab of the 5Ps to structure their evaluation - planning, purpose, pitch, pace and progress). I was inspected by a couple of HMIs who seemed very pleased with this. The year before I had introduced my "5Ps" of what makes a good lesson. It was an approach which asked teachers to think about the key aspects of a lesson before constructing a plan. I have written about it in a blog I write and you can find it HERE . Please feel free to use it if it is of any help. I have also added 2 extra Ps so it is actually now "5 + 2 Ps" and if you are still interested you will find these discussed elsewhere in the same blog. Hope this helps! If you want to know any more please send me a message.

Attached Files:

2. WB

WB Occasional commenter

I like it a lot. It's not just a list of things to do; it focuses the mind on the important aspects.

3. DocWol

DocWol New commenter

I knew that something was going well when staff were giving me feedback about their lessons in terms of pitch, pace and progress. I wanted to "intellectualize" their work; many felt like technicians simply trotting out starters and plenaries, this way I was saying that I don't care about plenaries, I care that you can show progress through pitching a lesson appropriately and maintaining engagement through pace. Thanks for your comment.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent!

I am just about to recommend it to a poster on Career Clinic who has an interview and has never ever taught a class before . . .

Best wishes

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I think this is pretty good. I'm not a fan of showing written planning for the sake of it, nor of lessons following a decreed format, but I can see that this would be immensely useful either for the inexperienced teacher or for one looking at where their lessons need to improve.

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I think that covers my thoughts. I don't tend to do detailed planning at all as it doesn't help me. At the same time, there are certainly many that could benefit from thinking more about the actual purpose of their lesson.

7. DocWol

DocWol New commenter

My own teaching means that many lessons are stored in the memory. When doing something new i am more formal with myself. Working with new teachers and those in training i do want to see them engaging in explicit planning as they haven't taught such and such a thousand times. I also like to use this with struggling staff. Inspection is different and uses this reassures staff that they will deliver good lessons.