1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The 50 book challenge

Discussion in 'English' started by y9840125, Mar 5, 2011.

1. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Some of you will have seen a little while ago that I was asking for your literary recommendations for children/teenagers. I collated the responses from TES and from my students and from me and managed to get a list of over 150 different titles together.

From that list of 150, I have spent some time (working alongside other teachers, our librarian and the students) to whittle the list down to our top 50. The students are going to be set the challenge to read all 50 within the year.

All students will be issued with a bookmark, which I have attached to the resources section. This bookmark has been copied on coloured paper and laminated. It will record the first 15 books they read when printed doubled sided (actually it holds more than that but we are recording 15 only). Once students have read 15 they get promoted to a bronze bookmark until they have reads 25, then it is a silver bookmark until 40 and then a gold mark for the final stretch. Certificates will also be issued at these milestones. The children will have to go to our librarian every time they have read one of the books and they will be asked a question (to test they have read it) and then be given a sticker. So the bookmark acts in the same way a loyalty card would.

Hopefully we shall be encouraging the students to pick up a book and read...

Anyway please find top 50 poster and bookmark should you wish to use:
    http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/TES-children-teenagers-book-list-6066675/

2. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Some of you will have seen a little while ago that I was asking for your literary recommendations for children/teenagers. I collated the responses from TES and from my students and from me and managed to get a list of over 150 different titles together.

From that list of 150, I have spent some time (working alongside other teachers, our librarian and the students) to whittle the list down to our top 50. The students are going to be set the challenge to read all 50 within the year.

All students will be issued with a bookmark, which I have attached to the resources section. This bookmark has been copied on coloured paper and laminated. It will record the first 15 books they read when printed doubled sided (actually it holds more than that but we are recording 15 only). Once students have read 15 they get promoted to a bronze bookmark until they have reads 25, then it is a silver bookmark until 40 and then a gold mark for the final stretch. Certificates will also be issued at these milestones. The children will have to go to our librarian every time they have read one of the books and they will be asked a question (to test they have read it) and then be given a sticker. So the bookmark acts in the same way a loyalty card would.

Hopefully we shall be encouraging the students to pick up a book and read...

Anyway please find top 50 poster and bookmark should you wish to use:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/TES-children-teenagers-book-list-6066675/

3. Thank you so much for that! Excellent resource!

4. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

It is indeed excellent, and brilliant. Thank you so much.