1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The 5:2 diet

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by eleanorms, Sep 8, 2019.

1. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

So not overweight, but have noticed a difference around waist. My Autumn wardrobe is definitely snugger than it was last year. Husband, who has been thin all his life, is very depressed to be growing a little pot belly as his 40s progress.
    So basically, have people had any success with intermittent fasting diets? We eat well, lots of vegan food and not much junk, but probably just a bit too much!

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

It worked well for me at first …. as do so many diets! I think that's because you're really strict with yourself at the start of something new - but 500 calories is a really small amount for a whole day. I read somewhere that if you put the whole day's food on one plate, it would look like 'tea for a toddler'. That of course depends on how you choose to use your calories, but it does require careful planning.
    I know I just got lazy after a while and thought 'this little biscuit / extra fruit / half a sandwich won't make any difference. But it does!
    Slimming World definitely works better for me - I'm veggie, eat a lot of vegan food and generally eat very healthily … just too much of it!

eleanorms and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

I'm personally not a fan of these types of diets and in some instances certain diets can be dangerous. If you want to lose just a bit of weight consider cutting down (not eliminating) your portions of carbohydrates and replacing them with vegetables/salad that way you are still full. Combine that with exercise and you should find that you lose weight.

The main thing to remember is that you should lose weight gradually, if you lose it too quickly the chances are you will just put it back on in the long run.

eleanorms and lindenlea like this.
  4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I agree with @Sammybear16 as you need a different eating regime for life, not a diet. I'm sure you are healthy, just eating a bit too much and few too many carbs, sugars and fats.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Mind you I did really well a couple of years ago and took 18 months to lose nearly 2 stone. However 6 months later and I'm back where I started, so 'slow and steady; doesn't always work either. :(

eleanorms and sunshineneeded like this.
  6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I absolutely know that weight loss is much more likely to be sustainable if you do it gradually and change to a healthier eating plan for life.
    The problem is, when I'm on a totally healthy plan and telling myself it's for ever, I can't get over the feeling that I'm on a diet and depriving myself!!!!!

eleanorms and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Well I'm having ham and chips at the pub after our walk today. It is lunch though, I've had veg heavy meals for he last few days, will have a small tea, probably a tomato omelette and seem to manage to be indulgent from time to time without it feeling like I've totally dropped off the wagon. When I've been on a really strict diet, it may well be healthy but my weight gets stuck, which is depressing.

8. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

Thank you everyone. You are all right. I just like carbohydrates. And fats. And sugar. We have done two weeks of it and noticed a tiny difference. Will see how it goes, but try to make permanent changes for the long term. Enjoy all your sensible food!

9. Abitofeverything

Abitofeverything Occasional commenter

I highly recommend Slimming World. It's easy to follow, you can still eat loads, it just makes you think about all the good stuff you can eat and limits the ****. Good luck!