1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The 20 most beautiful bookshops in the world

Discussion in 'Book club' started by twirlygig, Feb 4, 2012.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I really like the look of the one in mexico. Haven't been to any of them though. Maybe this summer.....

2. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ec/Daunt_Books%27s_famous_gallery.jpg/220px-Daunt_Books%27s_famous_gallery.jpg

smaller than the 20 but still beautiful in my opinion -Daunt's Bookshop, Marylebone, London

3. I like Waterstones in Bradford- a civilised refuge in the boarded-up centre of an armpit of the North

4. I was going to post exactly the same. Only reason to go shopping in Bradford these days, in my opinion.

5. It's not beautiful, but Oxfam in Bradford city centre is crammed with thousands of book bargains. Check it out

6. I like somewhere with a cafe and comfy seats where you can look through books before you buy.
    Unfortunately this need is mostly being met by Waterstones and Starbucks these days.

7. El Ateneo, Buenos Aires (featured in the article) has a cafe in the stage area, where it is possible to buy delicious cakes and order cocktails while you peruse the books - it's all my favourite things in one place, and furthermore the place is gorgeous!
    I visited several times while on holiday, buying extraordinarily expensive English books, but if we hada similar bookshop in Lodon I think I would pretty much live there.
    May now have to plan trips to the other book shops...

8. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

I saw the list of top bookshops and told my friend about El Ateneo as he was off to B.A on holiday. I told him he HAD to visit and bring me something back. Now he's not the type of person who reads and the thought of going in a bookshop was probably not high on his list of priorities for his holiday. However, he went and took photos and said it was amazing. He even bought me a bookmark (although I had to direct him, in a place I've never been, to where I thought he might find them - near the till).
    I think if I ever win the lottery I will go on a tour of the world stopping at the top bookshops along the way :)

9. waikatoriv

waikatoriv New commenter

If you ever visit Victoria on Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada then I definitely recommend you go to Russell's Bookshop. It is amazing and like being in "book heaven" as my son described it.