1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

The 16 month rule on supply - so confused!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by aspire_teach, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Thank Etak! That makes sense now - so I could do 16 months of supply, perhaps get an extension, and then if I *still* have no permanent job (touch wood this is not the case!) then I could still do things like TA work and tutoring - just no more supply. Do I have this right?
    One more thing: is it possible to complete your induction on a long-term supply basis? Perhaps if I had a term of supply going steady in one school, this might count towards the NQT year?
    Again, apologies if these are stupid/fairly obvious questions!

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

It is possible to complete your induction on supply. You could work in three different schools and do a term in each, for example. There is a grey area. If a school takes you on for at least a term, they have to put you through induction. But if they take younon for a month, say to cover for a teacher who is having an operation, and then you end up being there for a term or more, it doesn't count. So long as the school knows it's a term at least, you're OK.