1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

That's when neighbours become good friends?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by felltogroundinberkeleysquare, Nov 17, 2015.

1. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

I may have slightly ranted about my neighbour reporting me to the council yesterday about "square dancing random animals", which set off my security light. This could, apparently, result in a fine in a Magistrates' Court or even worse, a private prosecution.

So, I said to them, animals are beyond my control, tell him to get better curtains, and I have moved the light onto my newly built garage.

Therefore the Council are writing to tell him he's as daft as a brush, according to the conversation I had, and the complaint deleted.

Anyone else have difficult neighbours? This is the one that I think grumpy told me to bolt the door to a year or more ago?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Sorry, I have forgotten.

Perhaps you should issue exemption notices to hedgehogs, pigeons, moths and squirrels. These handy cards contain a chip which deactivates the light. Please don't be tempted to issue these smart-cards to burglars however.

I can't believe you haven't taken this precaution already. How very inconsiderate.

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I saw the most gorgeous cat strolling through our garden, recently. It was leopard print and I've never seen one like it, before.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

My neighbour demanded to know when I'd weed her side of the fence (the few weeds we have apparently crawl under the fence to her side) I did it, because I like a quiet life and (as I'm aware she knows absolutely everyone on our street) I don't want her b*tching about us to anyone who'll listen.

5. grumpydogwoman

My neighbour starts with: I wouldn't dream of telling you what to do.....

He then tells me exactly what to do!!!

I don't do it.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

There are, at the moment, about ten houses occupied in our 'bit' with another half dozen or so, due to be moved into in the next few weeks.

We've had drinks and nibbles evenings, dinner parties, mince pie and mulled wine evenings, sojourns to the local pub, meals at the local pub and trips to the local Indisn restaurant. We have keys for one another and help out whenever needed.

We've all said that we've never lived anywhere where a group of neighbour's got on so well. I'm often on my own during the day, but it's nice to know that there are people I can call on if I need to.

Mind you, we've had some trials in he past!

7. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

A leopard print cat - tee hee! :)

8. grumpydogwoman

I don't get it. Is that a joke?

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not really, the idea of a cat being printed tickled me that's all.

10. grumpydogwoman

upload_2015-11-17_16-34-8.png

Maybe a Bengal?

(Never knowingly under-kittied.)

11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

We have new neighbours. We call them the Lanisters.
    We also have the neighbour who is always peering out of her upstairs window on what's going down in the street. When I see her I wave merrily and she pretends she was just happening to look out as she passed the window. I do wish she'd get dressed first though.
    Then there's the local drug dealer neighbour who is on benefits and has some very interesting visitors.
    Then there's the ones who got thrown out of their last council place and who have turned every room that isn't the kitchen or bathroom into a bedroom to accommodate the wife, the boyfriend, the ex husband, the son and girlfriend, the other son and girlfriend, the daughter and granddaughter (and possibly the boyfriend)...
    Then there's the one who got done for fiddling lottery tickets in the local shop.
    And then there's us - we're the normal ones.

12. grumpydogwoman

Is all that true @monicabilongame
    I liked it because you made it sound so funny. But I also feel quite guilty because, if 100% true, it's probably not that pleasant.

13. monicabilongame

It is all absolutely true, and those are just the ones that are within spitting distance (as it were). Further down the road is the little boy who comes and climbs the tree right outside my house and can therefore look straight in through the landing window (at which I have no nets!). I am sorely tempted at times to waggle my baps at him as I go downstairs of a Sunday morning for a late cuppa tea to take back to bed.

However he is more than a little scared of me.... he and a playmate were whacking a broken off branch with another stick the other day, and as I went out of the front door to put something in the bin, he looked immediately guilty and said 'sorry' as he held a bit of broken twig back on the branch and said 'do you have any glue?' I told him it was ok but to take the branch further along to play with it.

Teachers eh? You just can't turn off the mode!

rachelpaula008 and coffeekid like this.
  14. grumpydogwoman

Baps. Wave baps! :D:p

rachelpaula008 likes this.
  15. Dunteachin

Haha! I didn't know how else to word it. But I like that.
    Yes! I think that was it, grumpy, but it was a marmalade colour, bathed in bright sunshine and surrounded by brilliant green shrubbery. I couldn't get my camera quick enough.

16. monicabilongame

[​IMG]

Like this DT?

17. Dunteachin

MrDt is often to be found at the 'study' aka spare bedroom window with his binoculars. We're on the flightpath and he's looking for planes whilst tracking them on his laptop and listening to his aircraft radio. I've told him umpteen times not to do it in a state of semi-clothedness. God only knows what the neighbours think!
    I only found out about his proclivities AFTER we were married. It was the crackling sound and the strange voices in the night that first alerted me to it...

18. Dunteachin

Oooh, that's it! Is it a Bengal cat, then?

19. grumpydogwoman

Well, if you're SURE that's what he's up to @Dunteachin ;)

20. Dunteachin

Oh, yes, I'm sure, gdw. I've been sucked into it myself, what with the airshows I get dragged to.