1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thats not fair!!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by jarndyce, Nov 2, 2011.

1. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Form tutor should be backing you up. Well done for sticking to your rules.

2. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

And good grief - GCSE DT? Is coursework still 60% of the exam or something? I still remember mine from 10 years ago - it was a colossal amount of work.

In English we don't have GCSE coursework anymore, but last year I was fairly flexible as it wasn't all one big project and each essay wasn't worth a big proportion. With DT I really can imagine that you do urgently need to see how their coursework is progressing, and I know that they need a lot more organisation with this than other subjects. Perhaps you can make this clear to any FTs if you get any more being silly - they simply might not know what DT coursework entails.

3. Thanks everyone.
    Coursework for DT is indeed 60% of the overall mark at GCSE level, and as such the CAT alone is allocated 45 hours - without any prep or trying to teach theory etc during the year.
    I'm going ahead with the detentions - I double checked it with my HoD, and they agreed that I'd given more than enough warning (it was on the board behind me for a full lesson, without the volume of verbal warnings they'd had).

4. You are completely in the right here. At least your HoD is backing you up. Organising themselves to print off the work and submitting it at the correct time is their job. I always try to explain keeping to deadlines as being an act of courtesy as well as something that will help in their work. For example if I set homework on Thursday to be handed in on Monday and marked by the following Thursday the student who brings it in on Wednesday is helping themselves to 6 days of the week to do their part of the work while I get just the 1 night. This is implicitly saying "my time is more valuable than yours". Rude!
    Anyway, if you are to get these kids the best possible grades and manage your own workload carry on with what you are doing. As for that form tutor - maybe the HoD should have a word. An NQT who is trying to apply some standards should be supported by everyone.

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

You would be more unfair if you let off the students - you would have effectively given them extra time and then penalised the students who met the deadline

6. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

the reason they are so slack about deadlines is that there are soooo many teachers who extend deadlines because at the end of the day we all know we need to get results but by extending deadline after deadline we are making the problem worse.

Imagine the scene "OK class, the deadline is 10th January, any work handed in after that will not be marked"....deadline comes and goes, work given in late, not marked.....kids fail
    results day...kids get Us
    departmental review time...."So Mr / Miss X why did so many of your kids not pass?" "They handed their work in late, I did warn them that it would not be marked though"

I know it's not as simple as this is the reason that kids don't stick to deadlines.....they know that we will take the work in late!

7. As everyone else says, stick to it. If they start falling behind now, it could be very difficult later on in the year, when not only have they got you on their back about coursework, but all their other teachers pressuring them. It's better to be firm about it now and a bit more flexible when you can be, rather then the other way round.

If you look at it, they've wasted the time you set aside to mark the work. Setting an extended deadline now will make them think they can get one next time, and the time after that.