1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

That's it!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by guinnesspuss, Mar 3, 2011.

1. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I suppose I shouldn't hang around on here anymore. Not a bona fide teacher anymore.
    Quit my job today[​IMG] I finally gave in and am going for a package. In my fifties like most peole having a hard time out there.
    Feeling quite relieved at the moment till the financial impact hits. Supply?

2. Why not?
    It isn't just a site for teachers.
    Are you happy or sad?

3. Good luck!

4. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

(((GP)))
    Stick around here! Not everyone is a teacher and I think the site is better for that fact!

5. guinnesspuss

I know I'm in good company on here [​IMG]
    I have been under the monitoring cosh for so long it will be strange not to have that pressure.
    On the whole I'm happy, but I only made my mind up at lunchtime today so I'm not sure how I'll feel tomorrow.

6. I wish you the best of luck and can't wait until I am in your shoes. Hopefully you will be able to live on less. Life begins!

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I am SO envious!! Well done, and just think about the joys of supply teaching - no staff meetings, no 'monitoring', no displays, no reports, no parents on your case, no bitching in the staffroom, no obligation to have that polite conversation with the caretaker every evening, no subject to coordinate, no resources to order, no cupboard to tidy, no folders to faff about with.....

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

That often depends on how long you're on supply in one school for. Don't forget no paid holidays, no pension payments :)

Have a great time away from the classroom gp x

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Congratulations.
    Supply? Yes, as long as you remember that Supply burn out hits sooner than permapost burn out.If you have a few local schools you like and pick up work in, it's a great idea.
    I don't know your circumstances but could you let out your home on a short-term basis and travel a bit? Remember that in Asia you can stay in clean little hotels for very little.
    Good luck, whatever you do. I'm down to three days a week and almost retired earlier this year because mr inky was facing the threat of redundancy.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Not a bona fie teahcder anymore?
    Nonsense!

Once a teacher...

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

whoops

fide

12. Good luck, GP...... and please don't disappear on us! Entertainment will be a less happy place without you....didn't you notice we were all looking for you?! xxx

13. Good luck guinnesspuss, I did the same nearly two weeks ago and have not had a single second of regret. I am still finding my feet and learning how to be retired but I am going to enjoy myself in the process.
    I'm sure you will too - have fun!

14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I decided not to go on supply, I just wanted to move on and move away from teaching. I still dream about school 18months on though! I could afford not to work and am volunteering which I thought I'd never do but it's good being off the treadmill. I'm still building up other leisure activities and new friendships - I had abandonned friends left right and centre because of my obsession with work. I'm much more content now than 12 months ago.
    Look after yourself, and take your time to decide what you're going to do.
    Or you might be like my husband - golf 3 times a week, sport on the tele - one happy bunny!

15. Well said fenty! I found retirement a bit of a financial shock - I went from earning £40+ to a pension payment every month with student kids to support and a mortgage and all the bills that come with house ownership. I have been poor for some time BUT it is a small price to pay for the lack of stress and the daily freedom I enjoy now. The biggest change was not carrying around the bloody job in my head whenever I wasn't at school. You just cannot switch off easily when you are a teacher I found.
    Well done Guinness. Isn't it a great feeling when you take the plunge and say "enough!" ? [​IMG] If you budget the lack of finances will be a small price to pay for all you gain in not having to make that daily journey into school. It's amazingly easy to cut out some extravagances and to be aware of spending.
    Sadly, I do think women in their 50s find it hard to secure other employment. I could do with a part-time job to boost the family income but they are scarce on the ground and I suspect for every vacancy there are hundreds of applicants! Supply teaching pays well, so I hope you can pick up some work in the future. In the meantime - just <u>celebrate!</u> [​IMG]

16. guinnesspuss

I fully intend to for now[​IMG] I have to admit the future's a bit hazy. BUT
    The thought of not planning this weekend Yaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
    Thanks to everyone for your support. I can finally put something on the what made you smile today!

17. Good luck GP. The way you feel today proves you've done the right thing. Have a good rest and enjoy! [​IMG]

18. guinnesspuss

Thanks everyone. [​IMG]
    Everyone was one of the spellings for the next test I was going to do. Oh well most of them wouldn't have learned them anyway.
    [​IMG]

19. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I'll be following your lead soon - can't say much more but can't wait either![​IMG]

20. Likewise!