1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

That young girl...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by sabram86, Sep 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

Have a look:

This is a rather
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] young girl, who is acting as a rather naive stooge for a rather unlovely coalition of people, which includes the likes of Prince Harry (who jets around the world to lecture us all on the evils of cheap flights).

Why do teachers admire this girl unquestioningly?

Why on earth do we allow her to neglect her own education to lecture us on our own misdeeds?

2. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

I don't admire her at all, in fact, I find the entire 'green' cause to be hypocritical at best. Why isn't this ***** in school?

Catgirl1964 and sabram86 like this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

What do you mean by [The original comment/section/image has been removed or breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions and subsequent references will be removed as a result]?

I doubt many teachers admire her unquestioningly, but I imagine a lot do admire her. It is not to hard to see positive qualities in her words and deeds.

What makes you think her education is neglected? In certain areas, she is a lot more educated than others her age.

Why do we allow her to lecture us? Because perhaps we need it? She has a unique position to be able to see the moral views of the world as an adult, but as a teenager does not have to accept the conscious blame for how the world is at the moment. She is the same voice as the person who challenges the people who say "well we've always done it this way".

cissy3, Lala24 and phlogiston like this.
  4. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Thank goodness for homeschooling.

sabram86 likes this.
  5. sabram86

If you want to see how and why she is [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions], watch the video. She comes across as an extremist (not unlike religious extremists) who are (literally) hell-bent on convincing the rest of us of the error of our ways. Her behaviour is aggressive and manipulative, treating her audience as moral inferiors and demanding action on the basis of an imagined innocence and superiority.

Her education is neglected because she (and no one else, as it happens) should presume to lecture the world without serious study of the problem. Otherwise, she is just a stooge for propaganda. What does she really know of the sciences or the research behind the causes and effects of climate change? It can't be much beyond GCSE-level.

Adults do not require lecturing by children. They are children, after all. They may in some senses be naive and innocent, but what do they have that really counts in serious debate? Her voice should carry no authority at all and those who worship at her feet take adulthood and its knowledge at little value.

6. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

I believe she is on the autistic spectrum and therefore sees things very in black and white.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Rather shrewd Tweet:

@Dorling83

'16 year old Greta Thunberg is too young to make her own mind up and has been groomed' scream people who said that Shamima Begum knew at 15 exactly what she was doing and should be treated as an adult. Weird, almost like they have an agenda.

lilachardy, cissy3, BetterNow and 7 others like this.
  8. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Lead commenter

The ability to think logically and laterally in a convincing manner.

One of my best Year 12's (who was involved in one early Extinction Rebellion activity) wrote an essay last year that was a wonderfully forensic demolition of the thesis outlined by Roger Scruton in his book Green Philosophy.

Of course, this student doesn't have the issues that critics of Thunberg have drawn attention to. But she was not unusual in the sense that the most academically capable older teenagers that I have encountered have invariably shown themselves to be more than capable of engaging with sophisticated and difficult theories and holding their own in debates with adults. I have seen this for myself beyond the classroom when I have taken them to outside events where they were thrown in at the deep end and required to do just that.

9. sabram86

There's a major difference that you overlook here, which is the one between actions and the world of words and ideas.

Shamima Begum is a traitor and terrorist for going to support an organisation responsible for the murder of innocents in Manchester and elsewhere, as well as the enslaving, execution and persecution of non-Muslims and gays, among others. She is a criminal and traitor in the deepest sense.

Thunberg is many things, but she is not a terrorist or a murderer. Her fault lies in the realm of ideas in fanatical devotion to a cause with questionable personal knowledge of the questions involved. What she does have in common with Begum is fanaticism, misanthropy and a 'convert or die' message.

Who has claimed that Begum is mentally ill?
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] One is a traitor to be despised; the other
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] to be pitied.

If Thunberg advocated violence against people or property, she would merit the same treatment as Begum. Until then, the two are quite different.

10. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Stiltskin likes this.
  11. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

As you've repeated this, I'd like to echo @Stiltskin 's earlier question - what do you mean by [The original comment/section/image has been removed or breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions and subsequent references will be removed as a result]? If you mean aggressive and manipulative, then why not say so?

12. sabram86

No, just a rational observer.

13. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Most scientists agree that climate change is happening. That we are not doing enough in order for changes to reverse quickly enough. Governments are not doing enough to cause these changes to happen quickly Her message is reiterating this. So what part of her message do you disagree with?

The idea that someone is older and therefore wiser is rubbish. There are plenty of adults out there who could do with being lectured by children, as their cognitive skills sit at the bottom of Bloom's taxonomy.

“I don't know what's the matter with people: they don't learn by understanding, they learn by some other way — by rote or something. Their knowledge is so fragile!”

― Richard Feynman

phlogiston and bonxie like this.
  14. FrankWolley

At 15 can one be a 'traitor'? I mean, you can't legally vote, marry, drive, leave school etc etc.o_O

PS I think you need to read post #7 again...you've clearly misunderstood it.;)

15. sabram86

Facts are not your friend, are they, Frank?

16. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

This morning, Chris Evans on Britain's most-listened-to breakfast show (Virgin radio) urged listeners to watch Greta's TED Talk; in fact, he urged all teachers to watch it with their classes. I liked it and I like her. If you watch her TED Talk she actually answers the questions the OP poses above: as she rightly points out - she doesn't need to 'grow up' and study climate change to find the solutions... in her words, we as a species already know the solutions we're just not applying them.

She's on the autistic spectrum so I find the criticisms of her manner and delivery (and mental health) absolutely vile.

Amongst other wry comments on the socials (social media): people seem so concerned for Greta's own education but a Nobel Prize nomination and addressing the UN would look pretty good on any CV (GCSE maths and English might be waived in this context, no?). And another tweet doing the rounds points out that Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein when she was 18, Anne Frank her diary at 15 and Joan of Arc changed the world at a similar age....

For me, when I see the kids out protesting I can see their point about gaining qualifications for the future if the planet's (literally) burning...

17. FrankWolley

Understanding seems a foreign country to you...o_O

And as for empathy....:eek:

18. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I'm sorry to see this condemnation of autism and its categorisation as 'disturbed'.
    But blindness is usually called a disability, I suppose.

bexallya and Mountaingirl like this.
  19. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

One contributor to the president’s favourite TV network was roundly criticised – and caused Fox News to issue an apology – after he responded to Thunberg’s speech by calling her “a mentally ill Swedish child who is being exploited by her parents and by the international left”.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/24/greta-thunberg-trump-twitter-bio

It would be nice to think @sabram86 would do the same.

20. BG54

BG54 New commenter

Thirty seconds of research would have told you that in Sweden children are allowed to leave school at 15.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.