1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘That thing gnawing away at all of us’: Calais and the shantytown on its doorstep

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Apr 20, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The ferry at Dover goes to Calais (or Dunkirk). So few illegal migrants likely to want to try to smuggle themselves back to France, I'd suggest...

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

All UK taxpayers would pay for them, either by higher taxes or through receiving poorer services - or both.

Within the 'town boundary' - well if the 7,000 or so at Calais/Dunkirk ended up in Kent I doubt they'd just stay there, but there would be a significant pressure on local resources whilst they were sent off to less crowded parts of the country...

3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

They're not refugees. Why do you keep using that word?

oldsomeman likes this.
  4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Such a pointless red herring.

Try entering the USA or Australia (whose systems we are likely to adopt after any Brexit) without papers or just saying 'sorry, no visa but I'd like to work here'. Or fail the test and immigration decide you are trying to enter illegally to work.

You will be sent back on the next flight and the airline fined.

All we have to do is enforce that and the UK would soon drop off the list of desired nations in seconds once it was known.

Refugees are not affected by staying or staying out and are not relevant to this issue.