1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

That September feeling again

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by stevencarrwork, Sep 10, 2011.

1. 4 trial lessons in one day. 4 new students. 4 new people whose mathematical ability I have to detect.
    And they are all hopeless.
    I have that September feeling again. Sheer despair, when I contemplate where my students are now and where they expect (!) to be.

Oh my God, what to do? How do I get these people the grades they expect, deluded as they are about what is needed to get those grades?

2. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy New commenter

Very difficult to comment, Steven, without knowing much more about the circumstances - and, especially, the age group.
    My instinctive reaction won't help much, I suspect. But I've always found that telling the truth and facing facts, though perhaps painful short-term, has long-term benefits.
    Kindest regards,
    Jonnty

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

To be honest, I never have parents "expecting" grades. They simply want their child to do their best or gain more confidence. I have one whose parents I have told he will only get a C and should really do Foundation. Despite my best efforts, there is no way he has the ability to get a B.
    Honesty.

4. Hi Steven,
    I'd start off by identifying which aspects of the subject they are doing well in and acknowledge their ability. I'd then talk them through which areas they need improvement in and set their expectations as to how much work is needed to acheive their goals.
    I find that it's important to encourage students early on but at the same time, not to praise mediocrity. I'm sure with your help they'll come on leaps and bounds by the end of the school term.