1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

That old 2 interviews next to each other dilemma

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by seismic, Mar 30, 2016.

1. seismic

seismic New commenter

well, I've been in this scenario before but this time slightly different. I'd appreciate some sage advice @TheoGriff and @Middlemarch.

Started at my current school on 0.18 in September, quickly changed to 0.22. January it's 0.92, one fella left and I stepped in. I'm now across three departments. This other chap left for non teaching but only lasted 3 weeks with what he did. He is subsequently back doing some tutoring and supply. School advertised for 0.6 (now, I'm unsure if this is temp or permanent), I have interview first week back after Easter for this, as does outgoing chap (who also did no favours by resigning after October deadline). It's been quite informal and just expressions of interest needed, rather than full on letter application. HT (actually former DHT from my SA school) was very pleased that I'd turned down the job offer from a few weeks back.

However, here's the thing, I've now got a call to interview (after the PT one for where I'm at) for a head of faculty position elsewhere, in the subject I originally trained for. The 0.6 is in a different discipline, though I know current HT and AHT are looking at other bits in the curriculum where I could plug holes.

I get the feeling my current place could actually appoint both of us, there has been other staff movements in the last few weeks. Career wise, HOF makes a lot of sense, I think current HT would get that. Do you reckon I could 'ask their blessing' to go to second interview? Possibly cheeky but I think they'd understand.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes.

I think this is an occasion where they may well be willing to wait, and cross their fingers that you don't get it.

FT and HoF in your subject - there's no competition really, is there? They must understand that they are second choice here.

You know where all the interview advice articles are? Tag me again if not.

Best wishes

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I agree with Theo. And if I were your head, I'd understand that this other interview is too important for you not to attend.

4. seismic

seismic New commenter

Thank you both.
    Kind of what I was hoping you'd say.
    *palms together nodding and bowing Buddha like as well as Japanese deference/respect*
    Wish I could give you both Chocs n flowers, the advice I've had over the years. Have you ever thought of an Amazon wish List?

I don't think my current HT would be too averse to my own career progression (heck, he sought me out for PT work when I was ready to jack it all in, I've got nothing but thanks, gratitude and respect for the guy, especially when he knows my past, the whole long story)

CWadd and Middlemarch like this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:D

6. seismic

seismic New commenter

Thought I'd update.
    All immaterial as the boss man has appointed the guy who left.
    I'm left feeling slightly deceived.
    Ho hum, HOF tomorrow!

7. seismic

seismic New commenter

Never got the HOF post either.

Currently have sent out 10 applications far and wide.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter