1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

That moment when you want something more than anything in the world

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Having taken too long over the big Sainsbury's shop this morning, I found myself in urgent need of a wee. But alack the loos there were out of order. No matter, I re-assured myself, you can make it to Waitrose. (Does one need inverted commas when one talks to oneself?) I hot- footed it to Waitrose, pushing my trolley before me, only to find that their loos were not functioning either and my only remaining option, short of disaster, was to get to the toilet block on the 2nd floor of the shopping centre. But the lift was out of order too! Stoically and at risk to life and limb I went up on the escalator. I rushed into the first loo, where the lock didn't work but by then I didn't care. You know how desire becomes even more excruciatingly urgent the nearer one gets to having it gratified? And I reflected that once the need had been gratified the want was completely gone. I remember C.S Lewis talking about this in his book The Four Loves.

TMI probably and just one of my idle reflections but food for thought perhaps.

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Thank you for sharing. Wee have all been there.

Lascarina and kibosh like this.
  3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

You did all this whilst still pushing a laden trolley?!
    I'd love to see the cctv footage! Especially the bit where you're on the escalator!

You can get Tena pants. I've seen them on the telly, I hasten to add.

Lascarina likes this.
  4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Not down our Arndale, you haven't! It has to be experienced to be believed.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Yes. It's like with siggies. I'm turning my back on all that desire stuff. I now want to live a desire-free life. But the closer I get to achieving that, the further I am from it.

Lascarina likes this.
  6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I am old but sturdy, DT, and my trolley is sturdy too.

7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Me too. I have thought of becoming a stylite. I suppose one would just wee down the pole then if ever one needed to, which wldn't be often if one didn't drink.

8. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Just to lower the tone another notch: wee could start a thread entitled "Wild Ones -places where I've been caught short"

Wee've all done it - don't pretend you haven't. :eek:

kibosh likes this.
  9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG]

Luke the stylite knew the zombie apocalypse was coming. As far as pillars go, his is pretty basic. Not much room for manoeuvre. This one looks more my thing
    [​IMG]

lanokia and Lascarina like this.
  10. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I was once driving to a conference and a substantial amount of the journey was off-motorway. I was so dying for a wee that I had to screech into a Travelodge car park, run in and say "Please help me - I'm desperate!" Luckily it was a middle-aged woman on the desk and she took pity on me and led me, almost sobbing, to the toilet.

Lascarina likes this.
  11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

:) I had a similar experience just two weeks ago. Drove about little country roads, with increasing urgency, looking for a place to stop where I could nip in behind a bush, climb over a gate and behind a hedgerow . . .a stone wall . . . anything would have done. Epic fail. If I hadn't made such a detour I would have arrived at my destination (complete with toilet facilities) 10mins sooner.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I drove miles round Corsica once (may have been Sardinia?) looking for a toilet that wasn't a 'hole in the floor'.

Can't remember the outcome.

Ruddy French! (Or possibly Italians.)

14. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

My ex husband decided that a drive around the Gorge du Tarn with a very pregnant wife and newly potty trained 2 year old would be a good idea. Not a loo in sight and the man wouldn't stop so I could find a tree.
    Obviously the two year old just let it go but holding on for so long made me go into premature labour. Thankfully stopped by brilliant French doctors.

I never, ever let my ex forget that.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What a total a/hole.

RedQuilt likes this.
  16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I loved the bit in 'The Secret Life of Bees' where the nanny tells the fourteen year old girl that going for a wee when you're desperate is better than sex, and the girl sincerely hopes that it isn't!

kibosh likes this.
  17. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

That's the point I was making. Once it's come out, it doesn't matter any more.;) It's the desperation of thinking it might come out too soon and we be taken short.

18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

[​IMG] David Walliams in flagrante delicto in Little Britain

And I hope this image will not offend TES and all our loyal readers.

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Nor this one
    [​IMG]

20. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I think we should err on the side of caution, kibosh. You never know what might upset some people's delicate sensibilities. And I genuinely didn't start this thread with any malicious or lascivious intent. It was more philosophical like.

kibosh likes this.