1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

That elusive full time permanent post (already filled)

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Sewerrat, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Sewerrat

Sewerrat New commenter

For the first time in ages a school near me is advertising a full time permanent position. WOW. So I book to view the school, ring agencies to say I won't be available for work on that day. Then I do my research, make two A4 pages of notes before coming to the school newsletter. Near the bottom is a message from the head saying to parents "Don't worry Mr X is not leaving, he was on a temporary contract but now we will make it permanent (but we do have to advertise the position first). So now I am about to cancel school viewing - what a let down!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm still in disbelief! [​IMG] To actuially announce this!

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Its not just a Teaching thing it happens in all fields.
    I believe that its a legal requirement that a job is advertised even if the mangement know already who they are going to appoint.
    Its meant to prevent "jobs for the boys" but of course it doesn't work and often only wastes the time of genuine jobseekers.
    I suppose one way around it would be to advertise in "The Outer Mongolian Post" for one day only.

4. I thought that regular teaching posts did not need to be advertised anywhere and if the school had a suitable candidate they could offer them the job.
    Isn't that how some people get jobs from their PGCE placements and the like?