1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

That Daesh stabbing in France

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sparkleghirl, Dec 14, 2015.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Earlier today I saw a report that a teacher in France had been stabbed by someone who had been shouting about Daesh.

Well it turns out it wasn't quite like that.

What possesses someone to do this?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35093799

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

prejudice, hatred and a huge dollop of idiocy.

RedQuilt and sparkleghirl like this.
  3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I thought I'd copy and paste this before the trolls turn up.

A teacher at a French preschool who said he had been stabbed by a man shouting "Islamic State" has admitted he made the story up, prosecutors say. (BBC News 31 Minutes ago)

Presumably he inflicted the injuries himself - as if the police haven't got enough to do at the moment.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  4. Biles

Biles Established commenter

I an sceptical he stabbed himself because of prejudice. Often people who self-harm are considered to have mental-health issues rather being idiots.

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I'm willing to put the self harm down to mental health issues but the attempt to blame it on IS down to prejudice.

6. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I hope the authorities send him the bill for the city-wide manhunt, wasted resources etc.
    The children lost a day of education too.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A nursery school teacher who claimed to have been attacked by a hooded man for Isil has admitted to having invented the incident and "stabbing himself", according to a local prosecutor.

A Jean-Perrin preschool teacher in Aubervilliers, north of Paris, claimed he had been stabbed around 7am on Monday with a box cutter by a man wearing a balaclava and gloves, Le Parisien newspaper reported.

Although the claim of an attack was proved to be false, say prosecutors, he admitted to "stabbing himself" and "making the whole thing up".

The teacher initially said his "attacker" was dressed in painter's overalls and a balaclava and arrived without a weapon but grabbed what appeared to be a box cutter that was lying in the classroom. This account was not true, the prosecutor said.

Earlier in the day, the teacher told prosecutors that the man shouted: "This is Daesh. This is a warning." Daesh is the Arabic acronym for Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil).

However, the Arab nations do not use acronyms in the same manner as the West does, and so do not use 'Daesh' to describe the Isil movement. They also dislike the work 'daesh' as it is mistakenly linked with the real Arabic word 'daesh' which means a person who creates disunity. In addition, it sounds in Arabic like the word "daas", meaning someone who crushes something underfoot - with overtones of humiliation and a lack of dignity. Arabic speakers are fully aware of the negative connotations of Daesh when they use it, and of the implied insult to the organisation.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  8. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

The man should be disbarred from teaching and, if found sane, charged as a terrorist.

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Bizarre behaviour... most peculiar.

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

When I heard the original report on the radio I thought it was odd that the attacker had shouted 'this is for Daesh' as I understood that they don't like to be called that.

11. emilystrange

Any clues he might have stabbed himself specifically to blame it on Daesh, or stabbed himself then decided to do so as an afterthought?

12. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Yes I thought that too.

[​IMG]

13. Biles

It's less painful to stab someone else.

14. emilystrange

yes, but he didn't.

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The voice of experience?

16. Biles

Conventional wisdom,

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Somewhat irrelevant to this incident though.

18. Biles

The sub-debate is speculation that the alleged self-stabbing person was motivated by prejudice towards Daesh or others.

19. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Debate is a glorious way to describe anything going on here.

sparkleghirl and Scintillant like this.
  20. emilystrange

the question was about why someone would do what he did. one of the reasons might have been prejudice. it might not have been. still needs considering.