1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Thargoids in Witch Space

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by johncollinswork, Mar 16, 2011.

1. johncollinswork

johncollinswork New commenter

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The hours of my life that I spent fighting off space pirates in Elite - classic program. I discovered on old cassette tape version complete with the vessel recognition chart in my attic not so long ago. You can get it online for free if you download a Spectrum emulator.

3. You b******.
    It took me years to stop having nightmares about the Thargoids pouncing on me. Now I've got to do it all again.
    PS: The only real Elites are the BBC versions (see Stairway to Heaven).
    The amazing thing about Elite is it was thought impossible. When first demoed it was presumed just a demo, 'cos it couldn't possibly fit into the memory of a BBC B. (32k, - 10k for graphics)

4. The comment about the cheap programmable device is interesting. You can build an Amiga level machine out of a single FPGA these days ; there is some design somewhere based around an STM32 card which offers more graphic power than something like a SNES for a few dollars.
    I think it's a great idea, but I don't think today's children have the patience to code like some of us did.

5. johncollinswork

Hmmm, yes, I can recal copying magazine pages of tiny text into a BBC only to have to wait until the next months issue for the 'fixes' before the game actaully worked...
    But hey, that little "X" at the bottom of the screen shooting "I"'s up and the dancing "O"'s beats COD any day!

6. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I must be slightly older that GavCradd as I started with a ZX80 [​IMG]
    I did O Level computing and my project was a flight simulator on a Commodore PET!! I still have a BBC Micro somewhere in my parents' attic - may have to visit and then re-visit elite [​IMG]

7. I started with one of these. SC/MP Introkit.
    [​IMG]
    The website pic I found here is wrong. There were two boards ; an SC/MP base board which was designed for a serial terminal on a PCB, and a wirewrapped board which provided the interface to the display and keyboard. 256 bytes RAM, no backup of any sort. This is the latter, which is why there is no 40 pin IC on the board :)
    This design eventually became the MK14.
    Incidentally you can play elite using oolite now which is a very good copy. Not as good as the nut who reverse engineered the BBC original and converted it to 'C'.

8. I'm blind. There is a 40 pin IC on there. Still only half the parts though :)

9. johncollinswork

Gavcradd wrote "One Year 7 lad spent every morning for a week creating a pac-man game in
    Scratch, only to show it to his mates who weren't even in the slightest
    impressed"

This is stange because whenever the kids in our school have a spare momment at the end of a lesson or its a free lesson at the end of term or whatever they jump head first into daft little flash games that are basically replicas of games from the 1970's and 1980's.

Only today I saw variations on Marble Madness, Wonder Boy and one of my all time faves Qix (a thirty year old game!) - They wont be playing 'Black Ops' in 30 years time - this is a FACT!

It's like music*, fashion**, architecture*** etc - certain eras created timeless benchmarks that are ageless and wont go away
    (*1970's, **1960's and ***1930's incidentally)

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Some of you might recall the old mainframe 'Star Trek' game that was based around an 8x8 grid of 3 digit numbers indicating the number of stars, Klingons, and starbases in each grid square. As a BASIC project I re-worked it for the ZX81, re-themed it, designed a cassette package, and touted copies around all the early 80s software houses to see if they'd bite (or should I say byte?). Quicksilva came within a whisker of adopting it, but were caught like rabbits in the headlights by the brand new Spectrum and so dropped all ZX81 offerings like a hot rock. My chance for brief fleeting fame disappeared like a Star Trek bit part actor in a red jersey.
    I found all my dabbling with BASIC and limited RAM at that time stood me in good stead for creating tightly-coded websites in HTML with Notepad in the late 90s, and that knowledge of HTML now helps me with current website projects in Dreamweaver. I have no formal programming/coding training either - I am self taught. I don't know Javascript or PHP but I'm capable of tweaking both by experimentation. It utilises an area of the brain that I rarely if ever apply to other tasks.
    It's sad that we don't get much chance to teach programming or program tweaking in any real sustained sense any more. Scratch is certainly a nod in the right direction, but only a nod.