1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thanks for the Good wishes, but I wouldn' t hold your breath!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, Nov 30, 2011.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Haven't had the phone call yet, but I wouldn' t hold your breath - I'm not[​IMG]. I'm <u>STILL</u> really bad at interviews, so much so that I don't want to do the interview next week, and thinking of not teaching all together! Sorry to be so negative.
    On a more positive note, no one can actually be as bad as I am at interviews, so good luck and hope that some people on here are successful [​IMG]!

2. welshchocoholic1

Haven't had the phone call yet, but I wouldn' t hold your breath - I'm not[​IMG]. I'm <u>STILL</u> really bad at interviews, so much so that I don't want to do the interview next week, and thinking of not teaching all together! Sorry to be so negative.
    On a more positive note, no one can actually be as bad as I am at interviews, so good luck and hope that some people on here are successful [​IMG]!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Now welshchocoholicthic what you need is
    [​IMG]
    for that celebratory drink or to douse yourself and pick yourself up for that next interview.
    Disappointment is really horrible [​IMG] so feel free to stamp your feet (whatever makes you feel better) and then realise you obviously have potential or else you wouldn't be getting those interviews! (After all we know just how many people are chasing them, unlike the rest of them who still believe in the ridiculous idea of a 'shortage'!)

4. ihatemondays

ihatemondays New commenter

Come on now Welshchocoholic stop being so down on yourself. You have to do the interview next week - if you dont get the call you are expecting.
    I am really bad at interviews - my current HT actually told me so "we really want you to come and work here, we are offering you the post, but you are really bad at interviews" direct quote!
    Good luck - will still have my fingers crossed for you.[​IMG]

5. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Wow. That is one amazing back-handed compliment! [​IMG]
    Welshchocoholic. You need chocolate, a pint and a cwtch, go find.
    Then after you have had all those, remind yourself of the following:
    1) If you are getting interviews you are one-up on me and many other. You must be employable otherwise they wouldn't even consider you.
    2) Okay, so interviews may not be your forte, but you are not going to get better unless you keep going. After the one next week, you will have two lots of experience under your belt that you didn't have today.
    3) If they did't choose you, then you didn't suit the school, so if you had got the job it could have been really difficult.
    4) Someone will see the teacher in you, and breathe a sigh of relief that they have, despite all the applications they have trawled through, managed to find the right one, and that one will be you.
    You'll get there. Now. Beer, cwtch, chocolate, and pre for mext week. xx

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Thinking positive thoughts for you [​IMG]
    It's all experience - nothing is ever wasted.
    If you are disappointed this time, think of it as a dress rehearsal for next week.

7. welshchocoholic1

Well <u>OBVIOUSLY</u> didn't get it!
    Lara, is that a bucket of vodka?! Ihatemondays - I was also told by one of my headteachers that I was REALLY bad at interviews.
    Welshchocoholic. You need chocolate, a pint and a cwtch, go find. - DT I don ' t actually have any of these in the house. Don't have any Vodka either!
    Finding it hard to think positively atm to be honest Marlin.
    Thanks for comments. Still feel like this[​IMG]

8. you've got to go to your interview Welshie - otherwise you'll never know.... anyway, as somebody else already pointed out, every interview is a separate event, whatever happened at the other one doesn't mean a thing, this one might be perfect for you. You've got to try, otherwise you can't even tell yourself that you've tried everything you could. Go for it!

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Hopefully by now, you'll be feeling a little better, or possibly not.( I know after my recent interview disappointment I was quite good till the third day afterwards when it hit me!)
    Anyway according to the 13 skills to Building Self Esteem(done on a quick search) no 4 is
    4. Do something which scares you. As with all skills, <u>we get better with practice and repetition.</u> The more
    often we proactively do things that scare us, the less scary these
    situations will seem, and eventually will be rid of that fear.
    So treat your next interview as part of the practice to get rid of the belief you can't do interviews- you CAN. You just may take morepractice than others.

10. Oh Welshie, I'm so sorry to hear your bad news, but there is a positive in this too!!
    You've got an interview next week for what could be the perfect school for you... You must go and give it your all.
    I know you're hurting now, but take the time you need to build yourself back up after this disappointment, get in there and wow them.
    You WILL find the right school for you. You're good enough to get the interviews (unlike me [​IMG])
    Thinking of you
    xx

11. Good luck Harry (and anyone else having interviews, sorry a bit out of the loop atm, been a bit poorly and feeling generally down). Will keep fingers crossed [​IMG]
    Those of you who have had bad news, I'm sorry to hear it. Keep your chin up and onwards and upwards, etc etc etc [​IMG]

12. Lesson went really well and then got told afterwards that my voice was too loud in a women dominated school (I'm not being sexist, just factual). Apart from that I got year 3's doing long mulltiplication!!!! I heard them say in the background - "this is fun and I really like this" plus they clapped me out of the room!!!
    But still no job.

13. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

This is so disheartening. I had that at one of my more recent interviews. Big Hug! [​IMG] You deserve better x

14. Thanks littlemissraw. [​IMG]

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent!
    Really good going!
    That's great!
    So . . . what was their reason - only the loud voice? I would have thought that they would appreciate that, if none of them can make themsleves heard above the others.
    But in fact since your voice was, by them, linked to you not being a woman, this is gender-related discrimination . . .
    If you so wished, you could consult your union over this.
    Best wishes
    P.S. You are in a union, aren't you, Harry? Everyone needs to be in a union.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

16. Thanks Theo, I did not feel bad for myself, I felt so sad for the children who were enjoying being involved in challenging work. I feel this is why the school involved has received a 'notice to improve' by ofsted recently. Yes I am in a union but really is it worth my bothering whilst I can spend time preparing for next week's interview. Also I just don't have the energy to whilst the allegation would be hard to prove in any case.
    Hope you are well though Theo and Welshie of course and everyone else!!!

17. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

All the best for next week Harry - have a look on the flowers thread - there's a delivery for you.

18. Oh thanks marlin, that is nice. [​IMG]

19. welshchocoholic1

Youll get there S4mm13, fingers crossed! Sorry that you're not feeling very well Emmadrg. Glad your lesson went well Harry, and good luck for next week!

20. Thanks Welshie :eek:)
    Still not heard from the application that ended last Thursday, but my latest one ended today, so still hoping, though it's getting me really down. Especially after a tough day with supply [​IMG]
    I'm glad to read that you are going to go to your interview next week, it's the best thing you can do!!