1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thanks for all replies to my thread

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dominant_tonic, Jul 15, 2012.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

just that, but cannot seem to find the original thread re: my nephew at school.
    Thanks for all you responses, and I do agree that it should have to be done, but was mainly annoyed at how it was done. Seemed poor. Anyway, after yet more tears and loss of appetite, sister is going to take nephew to site in new teachers class together for half hour on Monday, so that he can see what goes on, and knowing him that will be the end of it. Change he does not like :)
    Thanks all for taking the time to reply,
    domton xx

2. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

just that, but cannot seem to find the original thread re: my nephew at school.
    Thanks for all you responses, and I do agree that it should have to be done, but was mainly annoyed at how it was done. Seemed poor. Anyway, after yet more tears and loss of appetite, sister is going to take nephew to site in new teachers class together for half hour on Monday, so that he can see what goes on, and knowing him that will be the end of it. Change he does not like :)
    Thanks all for taking the time to reply,
    domton xx

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Has your sister requested this or has the school suggested it?
    Most children would be absolutely horrified to be singled out this way ...

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sounds like a terrible idea...

Ask the school if he can visit a few times (he probably will be anyway), maybe with another child who will be in his class, by all means. Mother being in school with the child in a classroom is a sure fire way to cause all kinds of problems, now and later.

5. Msz

I think he's already in reception at the school minnie and this is transition to Y1 ???

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I know!

I'm having just that age... a mother coming with the child to spend time in the year 1 classroom doesn't bear thinking about.

Is the mother at home with the child over the weekend, saying 'Never mind darling. Mummy will come with you to see this new teacher and her room. We'll go together. It'll be ok'? Seriously? How to make your child look a complete lemon!

7. Msz

Sorry didn't explain very well ... what I meant was that his mother doesn't need to arrange visits for him to a school he already attends ... surely it's normal transition for children to meet their new teacher and see new class

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think we are saying the same thing. Might be wrong, but I think we are.

He will already get transition to his new class, with his friends and classmates (new and old). This is normal in all schools. Therefore:

1. His mother doesn't need to do this.
    2. It will cause all kinds of social and emotional issues (now and later) if she does.

He will get over this, probably the tears and tantrums are because he is getting so much sympathy and air time for them.

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter