1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thanks - and more phonics advice please

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by oliverferret, Jun 17, 2011.

1. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

Thanks in a large part to advice on this forum, my cohort this year have a much better grip on phonics than last year, their reading is relatively confident and my profile scores are much higher - a big "thank you" to everyone who posts - particularly Debbie and Msz.

However, I still have a group who know all the digraphs and trigraphs in isolation but have difficulty spotting them in words. Can anyone suggest any activities that would help with this.

2. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

Thanks in a large part to advice on this forum, my cohort this year have a much better grip on phonics than last year, their reading is relatively confident and my profile scores are much higher - a big "thank you" to everyone who posts - particularly Debbie and Msz.

However, I still have a group who know all the digraphs and trigraphs in isolation but have difficulty spotting them in words. Can anyone suggest any activities that would help with this.

3. I recommend children having their own paper copy of a list of cumulative words to blend (shorter and longer words) from the outset of the systematic programme.
    My most 'core' resource are Sounds Book Activity Sheets, for which I have developed several styles (but all with the focus grapheme or graphemes in large font, a bank of cumulative words to note the focus grapheme in the word, then blend the words, handwriting, drawing mnemonic, sometimes some pics to identify the focus sound in the words - fold-up the sheet to under the main focus grapheme and conduct a spelling-with-editing routine with words of various lengths - supported by the focus grapheme.
    They're amazing.
    First reaction of most teachers?
    "We don't do worksheets here".
    Hmm.....and your results are?