1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thank You

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cheesypop, Aug 4, 2019.

1. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

From someone who has taught 20 years in now 5 secondary schools I just want to say thank you supply staff.
    You are the bread and butter of the school. You step in when the regular (and usually still paid) teacher is off for whatever reason. You never have enough information. You make do. When you do the job well - no one notices. Because you are doing the job. Sometimes you have first day nerves every day. You often get the worst classes with the worst preparation.
    So thank you. You are needed, appreciated and valued. Schools could not run without you.

2. tolkien28

tolkien28 Occasional commenter

Lovely post. However as a primary supply teacher in two schools, I just want to say that when I do the job well, everyone notices........from the pupils in my class, the TA supporting in class and the headteacher too. I am fully appreciated and that's why I love my work. Maybe it's a primary thing, but I feel highly valued.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I really enjoyed my time as a supply teacher.

I'm sure I'll do it again at some point.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  4. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I do short term supply and I am appreciated at some schools and invisible at others.

I always made a point of welcoming a supply teacher to my school when I was a HT and whenever possible thanked them at the end of the day.

BetterNow and BertieBassett2 like this.
  5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I always make a point of chatting to supply teachers at my place if I see them in the staff room. We have had some "regulars" over the years although I seem to see all of them less now.

6. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Yes, it's a funny old job! Mostly, I am treated well and I now have a small 'bank' of schools I am happy to work in. It definitely helps when the Head welcomes you and checks everything is ok. I'm such an old hand though that I don't mind if I'm left to get on with it - I'm aware that there is so much pressure in schools that acknowledging supply staff isn't always uppermost in the mind of senior leaders.