1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Thank you * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TheoGriff, Jan 9, 2016.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Many thanks to those who tried to help while the Spam was coming in thick and fast. We have had very large numbers of (apparently) Korean posters on line at any one time, each posting up to 3 figures . . . hard to keep up with but fairly under control now.

I am now concentrating on Zapping new members as they sign up.

I think on reflection that it's best not to BUMP posts when the spam is coming in thick and fast and you can see someone working on it, because it makes it harder to select and delete a whole page at a time.

But I do appreciate the efforts that were made by @cissy3 @rouxx @anotherauntsally and @josienig.

You four are hereby awarded the King Canute Badge

[​IMG]

Best wishes

2. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I only posted a couple - around half past three - then I realised it was still going on and decided to wait until it had stopped. I think Frank did the same. There must have been around thirty pages of spam at that point. I think you arrived not long after and they started to disappear quite quickly after that. I've started to post what I was going to post earlier but don't have much time now.

I hope TES realise just how hard you've worked on this - and how early you must have had to get up to sort it out. Maybe they should think of closing this forum to comments during the night until they find a solution? I'm sure we all really appreciate what you've done - I certainly do - but it doesn't seem fair that you seem to be bearing the brunt and I worry that while you keep doing their work for them, they're going to have less of a sense of urgency about finding a fix.

Having said that, thank you. Hope you're relaxing now with a nice breakfast.

ScotSEN, Lara mfl 05, cissy3 and 2 others like this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you @anotherauntsally .I have just got out of the shower (Oos! Sorry about the drips! ) to find a couple more.

Am thinking of asking the TES Editor what is the going rate for an out-of-hours plumber, so I can put in an invoice for the last three mornings.

;)

And hopefully not for tomorrow too.

:(

You are correct that currently the website protection is not Fit For Purpose, and more intense measures need to be introduced.

Off to Waitrose now. Well, once I've got dressed.

Best wishes

4. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It happened again? :(

Sounds like it was a bad one :mad:

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, @RedQuilt it was the worst so far.

I had my alarm on for 4.30. just in case, and there were 30+ pages just on Personal, and new posters streaming in at the rate of 10-12 per minute.

But now there's a lull.

Off to Waitrose therefore.

Best wishes

ScotSEN likes this.
  6. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Seconded.

It's not fair. I'd like to hear from TES now - just what are they doing about it? @TES_Rosaline ?

ScotSEN likes this.
  7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

That makes perfect sense - but what will I do tomorrow morning instead of planning? It was a brilliant distraction activity!

ScotSEN, Lara mfl 05 and cissy3 like this.
  8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Is it cos we laughed at their H bomb?

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm too busy laughing at their leader's haircut to laugh at their H-Bomb.

Thank you for what you do Theo. The fact that I have yet to see any of this spam is a testament to your efforts.

10. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I thought they came from the Republic of Korea - which is S Korea.
    N Korea is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea

At least that is my understanding

11. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

12. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Opps...sorry I mean the spammers are targetting not you!!!!

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just got back from Waitrose - on to it now (could someone come and unpack my shopping?)

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Mine too, but Theo was too busy to specify which side of the DMZ they came from. Even now she's battling the forces of evil in cape and swimming trunks whilst the Waitrose Essentials Lobster Thermidor is de-frosting on the kitchen counter. Ka-Pow!

15. dmorgantini

dmorgantini Guest

Hey all,
    Just as a note, I am one of the developers at TES and we are working non-stop to try to bring this issue under control. We thank you for your patience while we bring online anti-spam measures. There is a fine and difficult line to strike between blocking spammers and legitimate users.
    Once most of the spam issues are resolved I will be doing a technical blogpost for those interested in understanding the scope of the challenge and the measures we use to prevent them
    Regards,
    David

ScotSEN, Lara mfl 05, cissy3 and 2 others like this.
  16. cosmosinfrance

cosmosinfrance Star commenter

Glad to hear TES is doing something but I bet you weren't up at 4.30 this morning! Non stop? Not quite.

RedQuilt likes this.
  17. dmorgantini

dmorgantini Guest

Heh. I was up, but that's cause of my 4 month old not spammers. :)

cissy3 likes this.
  18. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Thank you Theo! You should be awarded a mega holiday now, or at least, a share of the lottery tonight!

It does beg several questions of TES in terms of the set up at the time of the revamp.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The "posters" can claim to be in Bulgaria, Uganda, Russia, or the Republic of Korea, among others. Last week there was one claiming to be in New Zealand.

I don't believe that any of these countries (except Republic of Korea) have adopted Korean script.

I am nowhere near clever enough to know where they are exactly. But naming S Korea, .or N Zealand, doesn't mean that they didn't actually originate in N Korea.

Glad you are here David. Can I go and put the frozen food in the freezer now?

Best wishes

20. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Can you look at your Conversation when you have a mo, David? Thanks.

Best wishes