1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thank you Theogriff

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lizziescat, Jan 10, 2016.

1. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Well at least this morning has been quieter (I don't want to tempt fate but the spam seems to have been controlled -well done to whomsoever).

But we really should be thanking Theogriff for her efforts and unsociable hours (and how many of them?)
    Without her single-handedly taking on the forces of disruption this site would have imploded over the last few days.
    Thank goodness she has the special privileges needed.

Apart from the flippant and superficial posts that have been made (well mine are at least). There have been (as is usual) people with serious issues and concerns for whom, this community has been able to provide vital service and support when, without theogriff efforts, this would not have been possible..

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed... echoed and agreed... Thank you to Theo and everyone who has kept this place usable!

RedQuilt and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Usually awarding a star is Theo's territory and I try not to stray into that.
    However today is I believe an exception!
    You're a upload_2016-1-10_9-18-3.jpeg Theo!

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Yes, a big thank you to Theo and all the mods.
    :D:D:D:D

RedQuilt likes this.
  5. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Agreed - thanks to Theo

GLsghost likes this.
  6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Oh I didn't notice the mods (when were they?) which is why theo had to step in and volunteer.

GLsghost likes this.
  7. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I didn't notice the mods, either. I thought it was the developer who Theo called in yesterday who came to the rescue last night - by providing us with a 'spambrella'. Whatever that might be, it seems to have worked (for now, anyway).

Edit: Thanks also to @dmorgantini.

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Yes - well done and thank you Theo! :)

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I assumed everyone at TES has been looking for solutions. Certainly the first and second day it was the mods who posted thanking people for trying to keep things going normally and who removed the spam.
    It would be unfair indeed if the paid staff have left Theo to deal with a problem of this magnitude!

aspensquiver and RedQuilt like this.
  10. anotherauntsally

There was only Theo dealing with it from very early on Saturday morning (middle of the night, really) - at one point the spammers seemed to be posting as fast as she was deleting. I was up early (around half past three) but there was nothing a mere poster could do except watch helplessly. Upping threads was a waste of time - and you had to go past over thirty pages of spam anyway to find a normal one. But once she got started, the spammers couldn't keep up the pace and the place was nice and clean by the time everyone got up. She was working non-stop for hours to achieve this. I wasn't aware of anyone else sharing the load - even though TES had only recently experienced similar problems overnight.

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I missed everything! Thanks, Theo!

midnight_angel likes this.
  12. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

Ditto.

13. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Agreed - it struck me as overly committed when Theo said in one of her posts that she set her alarm for 4.30 to check!!!!!!!!!! 4.30? Really? I enjoy this site as much as the next person, but in no way, shape or form would I interrupt sleep to schlep for hours deleting posts to keep it workable. A huge effort. Thanks indeed, especially as I know I would not have done it! I also felt miffed on her behalf that she was doing this seemingly alone at some points whilst paid staff were who knew where.

I am not particularly gushing, but I agree. Thanks and praise where due in this instance I think.

monicabilongame likes this.
  14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I've already thanked Theo for her efforts on this problem and am more than willing to do so again publicly here.

Not only did she deal with the problems directly but she also ensured that the moderators/TES Team got involved as soon as possible. She kept us informed too of the progress and that was a great help in itself

Their combined efforts have been both timely and effective and, as has been noted by a few posters, few apart from the very early birds were seriously affected as a result.
    This is far different from results on other forums/sites where it frequently took a lot longer for normal service to be resumed.

16. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Thanks for all your hard work and coordination!

17. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

I'm happy to add my thanks too, although I missed all this, being stuck in bed with flu. :(

As I understand it, @TheoGriff only has some additional rights because of the forums she hosts, which she has used to effect to clear the forum of a serious, sustained spam attack. However, it is not her job to do it. She is not a member of the paid staff team at TES.

I endorse @lizziescat 's comments relating to the role of the forum to provide support for serious issues and concerns, as well as lighter content. There have been a number of anxious posters seeking help in recent days, whose posts would have been buried without @TheoGriff 's timely intervention.

I would hope that the TES staff team would by now have effective strategies in place to ensure that any further spam attack does not have to be resolved by volunteers.

18. anotherauntsally

I'm not sure what you mean by 'combined efforts' - unless you mean giving Theo some additional powers which she put to excellent use when there was no-one else there to sort the mess out? Theo was on her own. If the early Saturday morning spammers had decided to spam with the same intensity across the whole site at that time, I don't see how Theo on her own would have been able to cope quite so successfully. If you are aware of any staff being involved at that time, please say.

This result was achieved because someone who cares voluntarily got up extra early to mop up.

Edit: I've just completed this post. I don't know what happened - I was in the middle of writing when it posted itself.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you everybody for your Thank yous!

I am not sure that we could expect employees to work on their day off, or outside their contracted hours. You wouldn't expect the School Secretary to be at her desk before dawn on a Saturday, for example!

I wouldn't wish anyone to think that the TES moderators were somehow failing in their duty here.

Because they weren't. Where they were able to, they were deleting spam on Thursday and Friday once they were aware.

But that's what we all do as teachers, isn't it?

All the time. More than we are contracted to. Voluntarily.

Because we care.

Best wishes

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
    Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Whilst I'm not sure what happened on Saturday as following some "input" on Friday I decided not to involve myself on that day, I am aware from posts by Theo on previous days that she called in the TES troops to assist. You may look if you like.

I'm sure that was the case (as it was on previous days)
    My point was merely that other sites, even with teams of moderators on call and active failed to deal with the problem with the same speed and efficiency.
    Google will help you to confirm that observation if you have any doubts.

Frankly I don't know what your point is here and, not caring much either, am at a loss to know what answer you require from me