1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thank you Lord Vader

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Anonymous, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

This is 'Personal'.

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Let me 'classroomise' it and tell you that I heard of a teacher who was asked for a spelling for a character called 'Daft Ada' and gave it as such. She read the pupil's work later and discovered he was writing about Star Wars.

3. scarlettheimposter

scarlettheimposter New commenter

Perhaps the personal is political.

I remember his Lordship being cornered by a journo after Brown made him Tsar (!) He was asked what we should do about the economic crisis and he made an excuse and left.

4. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I haven't watched The Apprentice for years, but was struck by the way that the most underhand and selfish actions were applauded as 'good business'. Contestants indulged in lies and cheating to advance themselves quite openly, and were often successful because of it.
    The epitome of 'New Labour', I reckon. Ended up leaving the majority of us, those who want social justice and decency in government, without a way forward through conventional political channels.
    But probably 'twas ever thus, if you think about the history of various Labour governments.

5. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

Both my kids were into Star Wars when they were younger.My daughter still is to a certain extent.
    My main reason for replying is that my mum thought the Man in Black was called Daft Vader,
    Maybe we should call the sugared one - Daft Sugar :)
    Your Dissolved!
    (points teaspoon at the recipient with a stirring motion of the wrist)

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Personally cant stand the man....not his real life personna, the tv character, the demands he makes of the superiority complex he portrays.If a boss spoke to me like that id have told him to shove it where the sun dont shine.
    Once again its just pure fantsty as im am not aware of many bosses who ask such things of people before they employ them. May be they fire them if they dont live up to the demands of the job...but my proof of suitability has usually been what they have done before!

7. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I cannot even bear to have this programme on for a few seconds - have to run and switch it off or at least mute it.
    Why does being a millionaire mean you can be rude to people?
    (Mind you, I really don't know where they find some of the awful contenders.)

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAGT0GXERT4

9. helpline2

helpline2 New commenter

I am not sure that being awful is not what they are looking for.
    I also note that Lord Vader says he is going to invest "250000 of my own money" and frequently repeats "it's my money". Are we to assume that the BBC are not paying him? And paying him rather more than 250000?

Seems unlikely
    http://classroomteachermanual.blogspot.co.uk/

10. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

LOL - it's like when the Dragons bring their "own" money with them and have it piled up on the table ;)
    And that's another programme I can't watch.

11. In fairness to Sugar, he was always rude and blunt....it's not a persona he adopts for TV. He was an ill-educated, east-end barrow boy to start with...so part of his charm, for me, was that he cut through much of the bull-******** that went on in high office. I liked his directness, his disgust, his shoot-from-the-hip blasts. I didn't always agree with him but there was no side to him at all, whether you agreed with what he felt or not. I don't feel the same way now. He has to watch his Ps and Qs all the time.
    I actually prefer the genuine, rude, fairly ignorant Sugar of his earlier days to the 'fairer', politically correct, gentler version of him, cultivated for TV and for his dealings in the higher echelons and the House of Lords. I feel what we get now is a plastic Lord Sugar...