1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thank you for your application..............

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Don't sell yourself short out of panic. My husband was made redundant ten years ago and thought he'd have more chance at his age if he went for something advertised a bit cheaper than he left on. They snatched his arm off of course and it took him years to make up the shortfall.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

True Lily, but state schools are obliged to pay me M6. Independents can pay a bit less and are negotiable, but an NQT will always be considerabley cheaper than me.
    Saw a nice ad for Headmistress's PA in a posh girls' independent.....maybe I should go for that and forget teaching? [​IMG]

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Aargh! now i find out you are a biologist as well. Can't you leave me alone?! [​IMG]

4. jazz2

jazz2 New commenter

No, they don't.
    I don't have a link to where the info is, but it's been repeated often enough on here - only senior posts are <u>required</u> to be advertised.
    But schools do like to think they've considered all available options; sometimes Governors like to know that a wider filed has been considered, even if the Head already knows who s/he wants to appoint.

5. jazz2

jazz2 New commenter

wider field, too.
    All options [​IMG]

6. Samjam1

Samjam1 New commenter

Something will come up, Belle, I'm sure. You ARE a very good teacher. Recent conversations about the difficulty of getting jobs at the mo has made me resolve NEVER to moan about my job again (and never consider trying to leave it! [​IMG] )

7. Correct. It's deputy and above that needs a national advert. By they have to be seen to be fair in selection hence why some adverts appear. Sometimes the internal applicant actually is the best within the field. Better the devil you know comes into play. In my experience being an internal candidate more often works against you than for you (although I've personally never been one)

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I know this happens. I benefitted from it once myself. When interviewing for my current post (which start out as a long term supply job then turned permanent) I was against 2 other applicants: a prospective NQT and someone returning from teaching abroad who'd been on UPS previously. I got the job as a happy medium: the expense of training an NQT and potential problems that come with getting a not-so-good one were avoided; the expense of paying UPS2 also avoided. I was moving onto M3 at the time and left my previous job to go travelling for a year.
    However, I've also witnessed it the other way around. My school interviewed for a mainscale teacher. We interviewed 5 NQTs and a teacher with 8 years' experience looking to get away from two terrible schools which were merging to make one, enormous hell-house of a school. I was on the interview panel and observed them all teach. Two of the NQTs were great, and interviewed really well. They had previous experience before teaching that supported their application: youth work, cover supervisor work, supply etc. We appointed the experienced teacher nonetheless. He is a great guy, but I'm not convinced the best teacher of the bunch (perhaps not better than the NQTs had the potential to be). But he had a record of steadily churning out decent results with tough kids. So was more desirable than an NQT who could be a 'risk' in a year that we need results to be excellent.
    Still, I'll bet it's happening more and more the other way around, with the experienced teacher losing out.
    Good luck.
    Eva x x

9. fantastischfish

The short-sighted employer needs to realise that NQTs will be on M6 eventually. Who's to say that the NQT will stick around that long. Who's to say the emplyer won't be back advertising again in a year or two's time, putting another newcomer through their induction, when they could have appointed someone already on M6 who wanted a job for the next 10 years.

10. fantastischfish

Schools can advertise on only their own website, hoping that only their internal candidate sees it and applies. As long as there has ben an advert....even if only for a few days.
    We are looking to appoint a 2nd in Maths following the promotion of the previous post-holder to a pastoral post. Since we don't actually require a member of teaching staff because there is no 'body' vacancy, we do not have to advertise externally and can ask for internal candidates to apply.
    That is my understanding anyway.

11. BelleDuJour

That's me!

12. BelleDuJour

And an excellent one too! Give us a job Jacob.....you know you want to [​IMG]

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You were right Belle, sending out that chain text made absolutly no difference! LOL

14. BelleDuJour

Made no difference to me neither Blazer! Excellent [​IMG]

15. It is my understanding that legally they have to advertise a vacancy. Howeve my expereince is in Scottish schools. I know that in English schools people can just be appointed without interviewing.

16. Sorry. I knew I shouldn't have posted on a Sunday while suffering a hang over, However and experience

17. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I have only ever had 2 interviews for teaching job. 1 as an NQT which I got over an internal candidate and 1 when I was on M4 which I also got over an internal candidate. On the second occasion I was more expensive then all the others there. God that sounds cocky!
    It really depends on the school. Most good schools have an idea in mind what they want in a person. Some schools are so financially restricted that they can only afford the cheaper option. Some schools have a highly respected internal candidate so why on earth would they rock the boat and then some schools truly want the best person.

18. it works all ways.
    I was invited to interview straight after PGCE, didn't get the job, the feedback was "strong candidate but we really wanted someone with experience".
    So why did they interview me then? DIdn't they read my application properly? Timewasters.

19. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Not within my power. I'll recommend you for when I retire though. Now tell me how much you love Biochemistry.

20. BelleDuJour

My point exactly!