1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thank you for your application..............

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Feb 11, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

but.................
    'We received a surprising number of applications and some of them matched our specification more closely than yours.'
    AKA.......lots were NQTs and cheap!
    Call me a cynic if you like but the job was for a biology teacher.
    A levels in all 3 sciences - tick
    Biological sciences degree - tick
    Masters degree - tick
    PGCE - tick
    A level teaching - tick
    Written and delivered INSET on teaching A level biology - tick
    Experience - tick
    Excellent references - tick
    M6 - aka expensive - tick
    Say no more!!!! [​IMG]
    Exactly what did their specification have that I don't? Oh..........I forgot......budget cuts! Silly me.
    Rant over.

...and breathe [​IMG]

2. I don't blame you for feeling frustrated.
    Budget cuts are a c**t. Scottish teaching jobs are like gold dust just now and people are being compulsarily(sp) transferred from other schools to fill job vacancies. I've stopped obssessing over finding a full-time, permanent post and have decided to be happy with supply.
    It has it's good points.

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Lots of sympathy - and I am sure you are right!
    I'm not looking to move which is just as well as on UPS 3 I'm not sure where I'd be welcomed with open arms.
    Was it a state school? With those qualifications the only area you'd be warmly received these days is in the independent sector - and among the wealthier, more prestigious schools at that, is my guess, where good, experienced teachers are valued over cost.

4. BelleDuJour

Thanks CK.
    What really pisses me off is when they say 'it's not about money, it's about finding the right person for the job'. Then they interview me (I interview well) and go on to appoint some wet behind the ears NQT who's often less than half way through training and has spent around 5 minutes in a classroom. They interview expensive peeps like me just to 'look good' and clealy have no intention of appointing an experienced teacher.
    So many applicants I meet for science jobs have just an A level in biology and maybe a degree in Enviromental Science or Geology, yet I get tols they better suit the requirements of the job. How?
    I need a drink......a large one to toast the tosspots!
    *Belle....still on the rant*

5. BelleDuJour

It was an independent! Grrrrrrrrrrrr

6. Don't worry Belle. I didn 't think you were cut out to be a Space Shuttle pilot anyway.

7. Yes, it sucks.

I recently had an interview on one of the remoter western isles - almost a three day trip, ferries, the lot.

Got to the interview, met the other candidates - one of them was already doing the job (long term supply) You can guess who got the position. Tis a very common occurrence in Scotland though - I wasn't even particularly ****** off. Buti f I'd known there was someone already doing the job I was applying for, I think I would've saved myself the journey.

8. Have you had a look at the job spec? There's more to them usually than qualifications and if you can tick all the other boxes it makes it harder and harder for them to turn you down. It might be that they have specifications for someone with experience in using ICT or other specific tools/strategies in the classroom and sem shiny NQT type can tick that box as well as the straight biology teaching ones.

9. NQTs are more malleable as well as cheap.
    Something tells me that's not one of your personal attributes. [​IMG]

10. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Belle, have a large glass of wine...tell yourself they didn't deserve a teacher as awesome as you...tell yourself you deserve better than them...have another glass of wine....and a big piece of cake!
    And under the circumstances... ranting is not only permitted, it's mandatory!

11. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I'm impressed you got a letter! Unheard of these days.
    Sorry to hear you're disappointed. On my first teaching job hunt they kept appointing the experienced ones! Fingers crossed something better will come along for you xx

12. This really puzzles me - I thought that schools didn't legally have to advertise mainscale jobs; I wonder why they do it when they are pretty certain they know who they are going to give the job to anyway? This happened to me on my first ever interview; placement student was one of the candidates and then got the job.

13. BelleDuJour

Ermmm....yes, I did.
    I ticked all the boxes and then some!

14. I wish they wouldn't.

I've seen jobs advertised as 'Internal Applicants Only', so it would appear they do have to advertise in some way.

15. BelleDuJour

Legally they do have to advertise, but I know one HT who managed to employ 6 staff from her old school without so much as a sniff of an ad. Totally against the rules but she got away with it. Some HTs will 'ringfence' and internal ad if htey know who they want to appoint, or advertise a job in,say, Brighton in the Outer Hebrides Gazette. That way they can say they advertised it but didn't get any applications other than 'the chosen one'.
    *Belle....still ranting but now well on the way down a nice bottle of red*

16. HELLO EVERYONE
    You're the right person if you're the person they can afford. This is how it works everywhere else.

17. Just checking - I've seen some weird things on job specs, especially in private schools.

18. BelleDuJour

It was an email. Pah!
    Apologies for typos in last post......combination of outrage and merlot [​IMG]

19. BelleDuJour

Yep.....that's my point Lily and they're all a bit David Dickinson 'cheap as chips'