1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thank the lord!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Stillstayingjohnson, May 18, 2017.

1. Stillstayingjohnson

Stillstayingjohnson Occasional commenter

Whilst organizing my documents folder last night, and trying to get rid of some unnecessary personal documents, I thought that I'd accidentally thrown some important certificates into the fireplace.

Thankfully, I'd already organised them into the back of the folder (...I'd just forgotten). I did spend a good 2 hours freaking out about it though! Searched the house, and did some frantic internet research.

I was wondering what the silliest/most irritating mistakes were that posters have made...

2. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

Does posting on the wrong forum count?

3. Stillstayingjohnson

I haven't. I am asking others who teach overseas to share experiences of their own silliness, so that I don't feel so silly (...would feel sillier still if I torched my all of my documents!).

4. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

I got a voucher for a free flight SE Asia to UK, return, with Emirates, after my flight was cancelledon my way to my first international job, meaning I was late for the start of term.
    I lost it!

Stillstayingjohnson likes this.
  5. Stillstayingjohnson

Blind panic is a strange feeling isn't it!

6. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

When I first arrived out here I stayed in a hotel for the first 2 weeks. I hid my credit card and a load of cash in a packet of Nurofen as I was paranoid the hotel staff might steal it.... When it came to time to check out of the hotel I couldn't find my cards anywhere and had a huge panic about not being able to pay my outstanding bill. I was convinced the card had been stolen so I cancelled it.

Four months later I had a headache so opened up a packet of Nurofen and what did I find? Yup, the credit card and all my money! Felt like such an idiot but it was nice to suddenly have all that cash...

7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I saw the thread title and thought Trump had resigned.

2bgr8, missbrody, isotonic and 4 others like this.
  8. Stillstayingjohnson

This is what I did... Putting things in a place 'too safe to remember'. I think the relief when finding a misplaced item is called a 'facepalm moment'. Which thankfully for me, wasn't four months after! I need my documents imminently.

If only he had... @gulfgolf

rosiecg likes this.
  9. isotonic

isotonic Occasional commenter

speaking of putting things in places and forgetting about them - last year during the xmas break my car died, I was to start a new job in January and it required a car due to its location. The day before my new job was to start I was still without a car. There was one car in the local area that ticked all the boxes for me however I was short £200 - (had already borrowed money etc but still short). I had almost given up and was about to arrange for a taxi for work the next day- as I was getting my work clothes out to be ironed etc. I noticed an envelope in the back of my wardrobe - I opened it and found £300 cash! It was the cash from the sale of my old car last year that I had totally forgotten and thought I had spent! I ended up buying the car that same evening and was able to get to drive to my new job!

Stillstayingjohnson and rosiecg like this.
  10. snowflakesfalling

snowflakesfalling Occasional commenter

Bringing a hot water bottle from the UK. I work in Qatar.

11. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

I frequently used a hot water bottle in Qatar. The AC there is so vicious we'd get chilled to the bone.

12. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

In Qatar I had a beautiful car, top the range Volvo XC60 with heated seats that I used every morning!

13. SPC2

SPC2 Occasional commenter

Back in the 90s, after around 16 hours of travel (flights + transfer time), I managed to put my passport, still in my shirt pocket, through the washing machine back in the UK :(

Cue feverish attempts to secure new passport, and new visa, to return to my ME work location of the time. The courier brought my passport with the new visa in it minutes before the airport taxi arrived.

How I laughed :mad:

Stillstayingjohnson likes this.
  14. Stillstayingjohnson

I'm looking around my house for envelopes now... Who knows what i'll find. Maybe i'll hit the jackpot! :)

15. Stillstayingjohnson

'It'll all come out in the wash' or something to that effect ;) Bet you were ready to explode!