1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thank goodness for decent people!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doglover, Dec 21, 2011.

1. I went to M and S really early this morning, to get my Christmas grocery shopping - special stuff, not regular groceries.
    I was really pleased as the store was practically empty, had everything I needed and was all well-dated.
    I couldn't actually believe my luck!
    I met an old friend I hadn't seen for ages, and we had a good old natter, and after we said goodbye, I went to get money out of the in-store cash machine to pay for my shopping - £150.
    I then remembered somehting else I had to get, and set off to get it. I don't know what made me think about it, but I suddenly had a niggling feeling that I had put the card back in my purse, but not the cash. I checked my purse and I was right!
    I rushed back to the machine but of course there was a queue of people waiting to use it, and the money was obviously gone. I went to the food ordering desk, which is right beside the cash machine, and in a panic told the girl what I had done.
    She smiled straight away, and said that someone had just handed in £150 which had been left in the machine. I could have hugged her!
    Deep down I knew someone would hand it in, and I was right. Thank God there are still some honest people in the world - someone who probably knew what it would mean for most people to lose £150 a few days before Christmas.

2. I went to M and S really early this morning, to get my Christmas grocery shopping - special stuff, not regular groceries.
    I was really pleased as the store was practically empty, had everything I needed and was all well-dated.
    I couldn't actually believe my luck!
    I met an old friend I hadn't seen for ages, and we had a good old natter, and after we said goodbye, I went to get money out of the in-store cash machine to pay for my shopping - £150.
    I then remembered somehting else I had to get, and set off to get it. I don't know what made me think about it, but I suddenly had a niggling feeling that I had put the card back in my purse, but not the cash. I checked my purse and I was right!
    I rushed back to the machine but of course there was a queue of people waiting to use it, and the money was obviously gone. I went to the food ordering desk, which is right beside the cash machine, and in a panic told the girl what I had done.
    She smiled straight away, and said that someone had just handed in £150 which had been left in the machine. I could have hugged her!
    Deep down I knew someone would hand it in, and I was right. Thank God there are still some honest people in the world - someone who probably knew what it would mean for most people to lose £150 a few days before Christmas.

3. What an awful thing to happen Doglover, but the feeling of relief too, when you had your money returned to you must have been enormous!
    There are some honest people in the world. You could perhaps write to your local paper, telling the tale and expressing your thanks to that unknown person who did the decent thing?

4. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

How lucky are you? I'd have been gutted to lose that much. Nice to know that there are some lovely people about when all you hear is bad news on the telly.

5. How lovely! Thanks for sharing Doglover, as Nanny Ogg says it make a very nice change to hear some good news x

6. My husband would have killed me - it was his money!

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I can just imagine doing that - I feel your panic - and your relief ! That's a good seasonal story[​IMG]

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Great that you got it back, doglover - I think there'll always be a good chance of money from a cash machine being handed in because most people would be scared that they'd be identified by hidden cameras if they took it.

9. Wera6

Wera6 New commenter

You may be right, but don't you think that in truth there are a lot of honest people about?

10. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

A really heartwarming story. Thanks ever so much for sharing it and reminding us all that despite all the newspapers would have us believe sometimes, There are still decnt people around today!

11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

What a good idea! Hopefully the person who handed the money in would see the story and feel good too!

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The same happened to my husband a few months ago,except he was the one who found the money in the machine as he came out of the bank after cashing in some money for his work. As the machine was beeping,he went to investigate and found a huge amount of money that someone had forgot to take. As the bank is in an industrial estate,the person probably got into their car and drove away. My husband went back into the branch to give them the money. The last time he went in for his work,he was given £20 that the grateful person had left for him.

13. Well I was sad to hear madlet had gone back to work, she has flu and really still sounds awful on phone, (is not able to get any sleep) to find that she was not paid for the week. Her boss told her not to worry to go in but didn't say that she doesn't qualify for sick pay as she hasn't officially worked for them for six months. (she was employed by agency for first months)
    As she now has a mortgage to pay she is even more upset at losing £240. Would they have rather she have gone in and breathed her germs over the rest their workers?
    Grrrrrr. !
    Pleased you got your money back

14. I was very relieved indeed. I have actually done this with several things, like a bag of present shopping and yesterday, I paid my parking and left the ticket in the machine - it as still sticking out of the machine, when I went back to get it, thankfully, or thy would have charged me a whole days parking.
    I also got mybag of shopping back, I had to trace my way back through a few shops, but it was still sitting where I left it.
    My mum lost £40 of M and S vouchers, but somehow managed to still have the receipt - all my father's fault she claimed ;) I told her to go back and ask them to cancel the gift card and issue a new one, as she still had the receipt. I must check whether she did or not.

15. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

That's such a lovely story, doglover!

16. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

I'm glad you got your money back - it just goes to show, most people are nice, you know! It's just the odd few that are rotters!![​IMG]

17. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

I am still so grateful to the lovely lady that found, and handed in, my travel wallet at Aberdeen airport. I normally keep my wallet in my pocket nearest the centre of the car, therefore, if it falls out, it's in the car. Different country, different side for steering wheel [​IMG]
    Imagine trying to replace passport, tickets, credit cards never mind the cash [​IMG]

18. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

My partner's wallet is currently residing at Edinburgh railway station. The cash was still in it when it was handed in. I can't say I am surprised, I have never had anything stolen and have always found people to be kind, honest and helpful. I reckon 99% of us are pretty decent.
    The media paint a different picture, I suppose it sells papers.

19. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Some time ago we had some boys come to the door to return my husband's wallet that he had dropped as he got into the car. Bless 'em!

20. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

It's brilliant to read of all these lovely stories and to realise there are still many, many honest people about.
    [​IMG]