1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thaliand situation

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by MisterMaker, Feb 16, 2012.

1. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

<font size="2">Someone suggested
    to me this morning that some schools in Thailand are due to close or resize,
    leaving lots of teachers without jobs in September.</font>

Idle speculation
    based on nothing more than a presumption of economic downturn in the country or
    similar factors (e.g. suggested that UN is pulling staff out) or is anyone
    aware of actual schools closing / downsizing?
    <font size="2">Just curious as I hadn't heard anything and I haven't followed any Thaliand threads here recently.</font>

2. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

I'm not in Thailand, but in region - and nothing has surfaced to my knowledge.

3. strangefish32

strangefish32 New commenter

There are almost 100 proper international schools in Thailand. 'Some schools' is very generalistic term. Do you have any more specifics - on the ground here there has been one close that I know of and that was a school that had been barely keeping its head above water with a total roll of 15 kids over 4 year groups.

4. Haven't heard anything about that. My school is actually hiring more staff next year due to growth.

5. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Really?
    Seems a lot, and if several posters here are to be believed, there are actaually fewer than 100 'proper' international schools in the entire world.

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I'd suggest less than a dozen 'proper' ones in Thailand. A fair view decent ones. And quite a lot of dodgy holes fit only for the dodgy teachers they hire.
    Perhaps the person I spoke with this morning picked up on a rumour and extended it.