1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thailand worries

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by katherinium, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions which are worrying me:
    1) My most recent CRB check is from August 2010. Will that be good enough for the Thai embassy? I called the CRB and they said I could get a subject access check from the police for a tenner, would that be worthwhile? I'm leaving the 1st Jan so no way I can get a new check between now and then (and the school just told me about the CRB check)
    2) On the back page of the application form, it says I need a yellow fever certificate to enter the country. Is that still true? I entered the country twice earlier this year without one. I did get the vaccination a few years ago but have lost the certificate.

Yes, my organisational skills suck.

2. yellow fever cert = no

when i moved to thailand i gave in a crb that was just over a year old and it was accepted no probs.

3. Phew, thanks!

4. Yellow fever vaccination certificates WILL be asked for in Thailand if you are entering from a yellow fever risk area (in fact you won't get past immigration at the airport without either (a) the certificate, or (b) submitting to being vaccinated by the medical centre at the airport). However, if you are coming from the UK, Europe, USA or the 'Australasian colonies' then no one will have any interest in this, so no problems.

5. Just coming from Blighty so probs there! I picked up my visa today too, another relief. I guess I'd better start thinking about packing...

6. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Hi all you need is a piece of paper with "1,000 baht" written on it and that solves all paperwork problems in Thailand lol. Once you have been there a while you will release how silly your concern was!

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The biggest worry for anyone going to the Far East is how to avoid eating (or smelling) durian. You may (or may not) need a CRB or a Yellow Fever (or a Saturday Night Fever) Certificate, but this revolting and disgusting stuff is a major menace to anyone's nostrils, digestion and sanity. Durian does for fruit what Anna Karenina does for rail travel or what Pyscho does for shower curtains. This is, of course, unless you happen to like durian...