1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thailand with family

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by OrangutanmanTeacher, Apr 12, 2018.

1. OrangutanmanTeacher

OrangutanmanTeacher New commenter

Hi. My wife and I are looking at moving to Thailand to teach. Partly as an amazing experience for our children (girl 9, boy 7), partly to escape the UK teaching profession, partly to attempt a better home life balance and partly to pay off some debt. I have been teaching Secondary Music for 13 years, my wife has 3 years EYFS experience. We are particularly interested in the quality of accommodation provided and cost of living. We have never been to Thailand, although have travelled and are very flexible and adventurous as a family.
    We would love to hear any advice or warnings from anyone who has already taken this path?

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

great country, cheap to live, and some great schools. the problem being that an awful lot of other teachers also want to work there. you will be up against a lot of competition for jobs

3. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

But of course that's no reason not to try.
    Bangkok is an amazing city. I wouldn't personally live there with kids (I think) but I loved it when I was young, free and single and I visit regularly now that I've left. Having said that, I've met plenty of people who did / do work there and love it. It's vibrant, fun and exciting and the sky train / MRT (underground) makes it easy to get around despite dreadful traffic. And of course with traffic comes pollution (one reason I wouldn't take kids there).
    If you are a hetero couple, you can expect to be propositioned on the street when walking with your wife - this upsets some people, but is water off a duck's back to others so make sure you are both aware. It's not unknown for couples to arrive together and leave separately because of the pull of the ladies of the night, but I'm sure more couples leave intact than broken (and I know at least a couple that have been there years and are solid).
    The beaches can be amazing, as can the hospitality.
    The food is delicious (though produced with loads of chemicals).
    The weather (even the thunder and lightning storms) are brilliant.

4. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Check your messages/conversations.

5. Bioteach

Bioteach New commenter

I currently live in Bangkok with my husband and two children (7 and 5). We are both teachers and have never regretted moving overseas.

Living in a big city like Bangkok has its downsides... The traffic is bad, the pollution is sometimes on the high side and the kids don't get to ride their bikes everyday.

We love the city though. We love the food, the people, the vibrant and ever changing surroundings that provide seemingly endless family friendly days out. We have travelled around Thailand this year and have bought a car. We love it here. There are a lot of international schools so it pays to do your research.

We live in a condo which is spacious, has an amazing pool and means we can walk to school. Friends live in big houses and drive to school.

You can have any kind of life you choose in Bangkok.

6. Bioteach

Bioteach New commenter

Oh and it is very easy to avoid the seedier areas. I have never felt uncomfortable in the city and have spent a lot of time exploring on my own.

7. jperriam

jperriam New commenter

I agree with Bioteach. Go there with an open mind and you will have a fantastic time with your family. I would recommend, if possible, taking a trip to Bangkok and deciding for yourself. It will make the move less overwhelming for you and your family if you do decide to take the plunge.

8. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Random question. Do you get blue skies in Bangkok? I've got two friends there in different and all of their posts show a sort of hazy blueish grey sky. It's obviously very hot but is it sunny and clear?

9. Bioteach

Bioteach New commenter

It is quite hazy at the moment. Sometimes polluted but not always. It's the hot season though so once it's raining more it'll be clearer.

Still very hot and very sunny even through the haze.

tigi likes this.
  10. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

I have never heard of anyone getting propositioned when with their partners, the girls will leave you alone, even in some of the bars, if it's obvious you aren't interested they will leave you alone.

I worked in Thailand for 4 years and of all the couples we worked with, probably about 70, 4 split up, which is probably the same amount as in the UK.

Rest of the post is pretty accurate

tigi likes this.
  11. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It's a tropical climate with lots of storms and so usually you get that greyish hue. You're not going to get Greek/Spanish blue skies but it will be pleasantly warm all year round with a lot of humidity.

tigi likes this.
  12. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

Thanks I get the humidity thing. Just I've never seen either of these people post a blue sky (and they post a lot) I think I'd miss it too much.

13. dumbbells66

You wont be outside much at certain parts of the year because its just to damn hot and humid. You never get use to the heat, you just get use to being sweaty

14. lucymweatherall

lucymweatherall New commenter

Hello! Myself, my partner and my son (8) are seriously considering moving to Thailand this summer. I'm an English teacher and we would be using my job (once I find one) to decide on location.

Can I please ask how you went about finding your job? Was it here on TES? And also, how did your children adapt to the move: with settling in to a new country and school etc?

15. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

I would suggest TES and Search would be the best way to go. Recruitment season is well underway so best to start applying and organising things now.

Tricky one with children. It depends on how familiar your children are with Thailand and their own individual personality. Some of the international schools have a large number of pupils made up of expat children. Others far less so. As your son is quite young I think it will make his adjustment far easier then say a teenager moving over. However, generally Thailand is a child friendly country with so many things to do for a family, so most families coming over from the UK seem to settle in quite quickly.

16. dumbbells66

well underway????..... its completely over for a lot of schools. yes there will always be some jobs out there, but international schools like to get recruitment done early.