1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thailand, Vietnam or somewhere else?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Innis7, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Innis7

Innis7 New commenter

Hey guys,

I’m planning on working aboard for a few years before travelling back to the U.K to settle down.

I’ve visited Thailand and Vietnam before, and have always liked the ideal of working there. However, I’m not sure if there are other places I should be looking. I’ve been teaching primary for 3 years and am in my late 20s with no children. Ideally, I’d like a place I can save a bit of money, so free accommodation and flights would be very attractive. But I’m not sure all countries offer packages like this.

2. 576

576 Established commenter

Countries don't offer packages, schools do.

To save, you don't need free accommodation, you just need to earn above what you spend.

Be open and look at each ad with an open mind.

3. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

My first post in SE Asia was at a school that had free accommodation and a quite modest pay, relative to what is available elsewhere and also to what I later earned at a larger school in the same country. I traveled around the region with my partner most holidays and still saved about 500 quid a month. At the aforementioned larger school i was pushing closer to 1500 quid a month savings. Being paid a salary equivalent to one back home and living locally is indeed that much of a money spinner.

So if you wish to come to SE Asia, consider every country here. In addition to the ones you mentioned, I've had colleagues/friends earn well in Indonesia, Cambodia, Malaysia, Philippines and Brunei. Depends on your experience, good fortune and of course you have to sometimes work your way towards those higher end posts.

The experiences far outweigh the material gains but both can be achieved. The amount you save is of course dependent on your personal spending habits. Knew one women, who had a car/driver and a maid and waited desperately for her salary cheque each month as her cash drained dry. Five years down the road, I was buying a home with the money I'd saved during my time overseas, and she was still counting her pennies at the end of each month.

One final point is your 'plan' to return to the UK and settle down in a few years. Are you sure, someone with quite a rigid mindset is suited to being overseas?

Innis7 likes this.
  4. w1185299

w1185299 New commenter

Given your age and lack of children, I would be open and not rule out anywhere. Who knows where you may end up?

Innis7 likes this.
  5. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

I agree with the two above posts.

If you have no children, then be open to teach in more places in the world. However, if you have children then South East Asia is a good region to bring up a family.

Good luck.

Innis7 likes this.
  6. Innis7

Innis7 New commenter

Thanks ever so much for your replies guys. Well I’ve highlighted Thailand and Vietnam as I have travelled there before, so I thought that might make my initial transition smoother as I ease into the international teaching world. The plan is to return to England eventually for family reasons. Ideally, I’d want to do at least 3 years, but I’m certainly open to longer if I find the experience worthwhile and enjoyable.

Overall, I’m definitely open to working in most countries, although I don’t think UAE or China are for me personally.

7. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Not trying to put you off, but a number of people say that one of the hardest things about working abroad is wanting to come back to the UK and work.
    Simple things, like how will you attend a face to face interview? No UK schools will accept a Skype one... also, how will your abroad experience be considered/ valued? Will you expect to have moved up the pay scale because there is no pay portability even within UK schools.
    If you really want a career where you teach the majority in the UK, is a move abroad now really a good plan?

8. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

There is a terrible shortage of teachers across the UK especially in most parts of England. I would advise a teacher who returns home, to supply teach for a term. Whilst doing so, they can take their time, research and then apply for the jobs that suits them/matches their circumstances.This situation may change in a few years, but I doubt it.

So Innis7, don't worry about this. Secure a job in either Thailand or Vietnam (both countries are great, But Thailand is easier to live in), enjoy the experience, travel, save a bit and then in 3, 4 or 5 years come home if you need to.

9. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

I've lived in both and found Vietnam much easier to live in, particularly where are the schools are based in HCMC, which makes it very easy for a westerner, although that isn't everyone's cup of tea.