1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thailand salary

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by liamstar, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I've been offered a position in Thailand with a salary of 58,000 Baht per month, plus international helath insurance, flights and assistance with finding affordbale housing.

This will be my first international position, the school is reputable. Is the contract offer reasonable or is it low?

Thanks!

2. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Just from what I've read on here, it sounds quite low (especially without housing). Is it at least net?
    Someone with boots on the ground will answer shortly.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I was on more than that 15 years ago. Very low salary; forget any sense that it is reputable - by who's standards reputable btw?

4. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

A friend of mine who works in one of the good schools in Bangkok told me recently he was on the equivalent of £24,000 pa with about 20% tax taken off.

5. Many "first-overseas post" teachers at my school are upwards of 75,000THB/mo AFTER 30% tax and they have housing with that. We are at a mid-tier school, though, so that may be the reason. 58,000THB/mo seems low. for a reputable school.

6. Thanks everyone, I thought it was low and I just wanted to confirm!

On reflection, I'm not willing to drop to 25% of my UK salary and I'd like to think I stand out enough to be offered other jobs so I'll keep looking.

7. strangefish32

strangefish32 New commenter

That is very low indeed. You should be expecting a minimum of 79K after tax for those with a minimum of experience + flights + relocation. Not all will give accommodation.
    PM me if you want more info.

8. willow78

willow78 Occasional commenter

I can't believe the school is that reputable if they offer that low a salary for an international teacher, with no housing allowance that's an awful wage. None of the good international school that I know pay anywhere as low as that.

However it could be a stepping stone for you onto the international scene and if you are on your won you give still live well on that salary, you would have to live in cheap or share accomadation but would struggle to save much money if you want to live a good life including travel.

9. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

When I moved to Bangkok about 13 years ago I was earning about 20K more than that as a basic wage. There was then housing allowance on top and that was when there were almost 90 Baht to the pound. Now there are nearer to 48 and everything is a lot more expensive. Good move to not take the job. I think that some schools have cottoned on to the lack of jobs and general poor outlook in the UK and are playing with people.
    I would really appreciate a PM to let me know which school could offer this derogatory figure.
    Perce