1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thailand is becoming a tad crowded......

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by percy topliss, Oct 15, 2016.

1. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

With "named" franchises. We have the one from the Hill, the one from Salop even an itsy bitsy one from Sussex. Now we are about to get another one this time from the people who play with odd shaped balls. This one, however, is going to be different. According to the Founding Head it will not be based upon the International School model but upon the British Public School model, the one that gave us cold showers, The British Empire, iffy beaks and Boris Johnson. I look forward to seeing how it prospers.

The beach beckons,

Perce

2. cakestin1

cakestin1 New commenter

I'm applying for the one from the hill. Any hints about what is like?

3. strangefish32

strangefish32 New commenter

Interesting family behind the oval-balls school. Kinda think that's where the strings will be pulled from, not Warwickshire.

4. fsmc

fsmc Occasional commenter

The location is fairly isolated. A long way from Bangkok, and your accommodation is on-site and 12km from the nearest city. Plus its a boarding school and you're expected to do weekend duties. Kinda makes me think that if you took a job there, your school would essentially become your life.

Think it'd be a substantially better proposition if you got a housing allowance instead and so could maintain your own separate life and commute in.

5. cakestin1

cakestin1 New commenter

I don't mind school being my life for a couple of years. I do very little apart from work, come home, eat, wash-up and sleep during term time anyway! ;-) Holiday time is when I get my life!

6. peakdj

peakdj New commenter

Jeez - really??? Why teach abroad if there's so little time to enjoy the local life and culture? I love teaching, but I also like living!

senlady and dumbbells66 like this.
  7. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Here in China we have the same "Rent a Name" schools that have little or no connection to the Public schools in the UK apart from the money exchanged to pay for the name.

I do know of one instance where the money grabbing of a Franchise did lead to the school in the UK removing the name and reselling it to a Sandwich Stall business in China.

The first question I would ask as a fee paying parent would be about the teacher exchange programme with the school in England. Is the deputy head ********* popping over form the UK to lead the staff development for a term and if I have a "COMPLAINT GOD FORBID", will the board of Governors in the UK answer my emails? How will the student exchange operate between the schools?

Profits will get in the way of the education.

Will there be enough students to fill these illustrious establishments, here in China the market is saturated with these School Franchises and student numbers are dropping! These types of school live off the reputation of the originals and do little to develop their own identities.

As a parent paying for an education the phrase "Caveat Emptor" does come to mind.

8. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Surely there must be some sort of control on those schools from the UK ones, if only because of reputational damage?

9. february31st

The big brand names for schools are simple franchises the same as Starbucks. Its the same reason why you can find 3 or 4 Starbucks in many city high streets, someone simply paid for the franchise. With Tiger Bank and Bearings Bank Singapore providing the funding for two of the big names, I can imagine the number of franchise schools increasing.

I can think of a couple of family names in Thailand that will be the investment capital behind some of the school brand names and as such they will be "for profit" educational establishments.

The original schools in the UK have plenty of protection built into the franchise agreement as standard, but they have no day to day control over the international school that bears their name. As long as the cash flows in from the franchise schools that's all that's matters.

percy topliss likes this.
  10. schmedz

schmedz Occasional commenter

I do wonder if there will be enough students for all these 'big name'schools, especially the newest (which will be in direct competition with an existing 'royal' boarding school very close to its new location!)

cakestin - the one on the hill is like Marmite.

11. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

schmedz makes a good point as did the op, surely the market in BK is becoming a bit saturated!!!
    Even though this new 'franchise' is quite a way out of BK.

Also I would have thought by now this is a failed model. The plush compound of very expensive houses with a school in the middle, all built and owned by a property developer. It certinly failed in Dubai following the financial crash of 2008

12. february31st

It may force the Franchise Schools to actually compete for students by having high educational standards and offering value for money!

13. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

I think we need a modicum of forethought here, young February. I posted this thread initially because I was amazed that yet another British school was willing to throw its hat into an already overcrowded ring. However, some of the schools I mention offer a very, very good education and their alumni attend top universities, worldwide. Value for money is not a problem for some Thai parents, they have more money than they know what to do with. Let's not be too mean, I think that the school you are thinking of from Shanghai, non shiney, will never open in Bangkok because it is a money factory, not a school. The parents wouldn't let that happen here. In Shanghai it was the only viable option.
    Take care,
    Perce

14. mikemcdonald25

I have to say IMO both you guys are missing the point to some extent. It is simpy a question of Supply and Demand. If there was no demand the schools would not be supplied, if they do not provide the product that their customers want they would not attract customers.

The issue is that, certainly in China, the growing middle class sees almost any kind of international education as a passport to success. This new middle class has varying levels of wealth and expectations, so their are varying levels of 'international schools' to meet their needs. Some are good and provide; "high educational standards and offering value for money!" as February31st puts it, some are simply a money grabbing exercise, but because of the nature of the market place they all survive, some more than others.

For us, in many ways, the only problem is in sorting the wheat from the chaff when we apply, and that is becoming more and more difficult as the market grows.

15. february31st

With the 100 million US Dollar cost of building a new state of the art school, there needs to be a minimum rate of return on the investment.

So when management and owners talk about a selective admission process, the only question that matters at an interview is CASH or VISA card for the fees payment.

The school owners can not afford empty chairs in a classroom, but where do the students come from in a static population?

16. mikemcdonald25

Quite feb, although there are alternatives, depending on your clientele and your bank balance. It is not uncommon for schools to start up in a fairly large house or combination of houses, as they often start with kinder, then infant and so on. Once the money starts to roll in then you can consider new premises. In a couple of countries that I have been in one or two of the bigger schools have moved to new premises leaving their old ones to smaller less ambitious schools.

While I have no experience of Thailand, in both Vietnam and China the school population is far from static, as both countries develop, the middle class and its desire for an education for their children, beyond the state provision, is growing apace, hence the many cowboy operations.