1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thailand International Schools Opening on Monday?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Helen-Back, May 26, 2020.

1. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

What have you heard? There seem to plans being made to reopening next week.

2. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

Some schools have been planning this for some time. As we know OPEC has sent a letter out saying that International Schools CAN open if they want to.
    Some are because:

a) Their parents are rich and some are powerful and they have been whingeing about the extortionate fees and the fact that they are actually having to look after their own kids because their maids are stuck in Isaan.
    b) Their curriculum is quasi British so it would seem churlish were they to stay closed when the government, who really couldn't care less, tell them to go back and the term ends at the tail of June therefore schools get to keep more money.

Some aren't because:

a) It is utterly pointless because many kids have returned to china, Korea, Hong Kong or are on the beach in Bali and no meaningful learning will go on because only half of the half that are left will be allowed in at any given point.
    b) Their term ends in a few days anyway so the first four words of point a) come in to play.

To be honest @Helen-Back if your school hasn't alreay made plans for this it is a little late to start now.

Ciao,

Perce

3. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

My school is prepping for opening on Monday. I'm looking forward to it! I'm over looking at my face in Zoom every day.

YNWA1892 and percy topliss like this.
  4. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

If there are only a few days of term I don't see the point in bothering. However, if there are a few weeks then I'd say it's definitely worth it.

If a school opens now then it will probably only have a maximum of 50% of students attending. This allows for proper social distancing and reduced class sizes and, more importantly, allows leaders to see where the kinks are, condition pupils and staff, and monitor adherance to guidelines with a reduced pupil body.

Those who opt to open in September / August instead are in for a babtism by fire when their entire pupil body turn up and they have to implement new rules with a packed school

5. grdwdgrrrl

Out of 600+ students, 100 opted not to come. It’s mostly EY kids.

bobscat likes this.
  6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Weird because we're only missing 3 EY kids but 40% of our senior school

7. percy topliss

Watch this space. I think the government may just have bowled a googly....

8. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

You couldn't make this up really. Schools taking it upon themselves to announce they are opening or preparing to open...and then.....

9. percy topliss

Oh dear, oh my...completely baffled them, pitched on off and came in to hit the top of middle and leg....management completely baffled.
    And....that's tea.

geckopoo likes this.
  10. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

well come on then, spill the beans and stop cockteasing! What happened?

T0nyGT likes this.
  11. bobscat

bobscat New commenter

Ministry have determined that international schools can no longer open on Monday. Is that it?

12. Beagles111

Beagles111 New commenter

Local Thai schools were closed after Songkran break and told that they couldn't open until July 1st.
    Certain International Schools made a big thing about reopening on Monday.
    They have now been, quite rightly, slapped down.
    Why should rich kids be educated when locals cannot?
    Don't advertise what you cannot do.
    @grdwdgrrrl what has your school said?

13. grdwdgrrrl

Found out this afternoon. Zoom continues.

14. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

We were, as were the parents, told that the plan to open on Monday was provisional and we were awaiting the final decision. Still, to prep for reopening and then be told at 3pm on Friday that its not happening led to some mixed emotions in our school.

15. grdwdgrrrl

I hadn’t thought of it like that.