1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thailand, how good is it?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Thegirlfrommars, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Help - I'm dithering about a holiday this year. I made enquries with Travel Bag about a holiday in Thailand and was amazed at how cheap it is. Then i deceided to play safe and almost booked a weeks holiday in Lake Garda. A week there was more than 11 days in Thailand!
    My next problem is where? Phuket, Krabi? 4 adults going, 2 middle aged and 2 early 20's. Please someone help me decide!

2. Sorry about the spelling! I'm tired and fed up of looking at holidays.

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

4. I can recommend Kata beach on Phuket-its well away from Patong which we went to once to go to the bank and hated it. We went over 10 years ago when OH was working in Singapore and travelled round quite a bit-we hated Bangkok, liked Chang Mai in the north where friends of ours lived, and loved Phuket. We stayed in a posh hotel on the beach as OH wasn't allowed to book flights without reserving hotel rooms-but we know that the company we went diving with (Phuket scuba club) have friends who now own some self catering bungalows up the hill above the beachwith amazing sea views-if we went back we'd stay there. Info on this website http://www.phuket-scuba-club.com/
    Having learnt to dive in UK waters in a drysuit, Thailand was my first tropical diving, (we just went out on day trips on a boat) so I have really fond memories of fantastic dives and always liked it more than the Red Sea; we went in December and the water was so warm (24-28 celsius) and clear and there were so many different colours of fish (even 3 colours of clownfish) and corals. At the headland end to the south end of Kata beach there is a natural reef so you can snorkel and see Angel fish and many others-the dive operations do their 'pool' training straight off the sandy beach.
    What we liked about Phuket was that there was plenty to do apart from diving (one reason why OH would never go to the Maldives-if the weather's too rough for diving there is little else to do).
    We found the people to be very friendly and helpful and there were lots of lovely restaurants on and around the beach-all in easy walking distance. Taxi's were cheap enough to get around the island too-and when we went diving we were picked up from our hotel.
    Hope you get to go and enjoy yourself-I was mid 40's when we went-there was plenty of nightlife in the resorts further north-but that's just not our scene.

5. Thailand is AWESOME! I lived in a couple of different places and while I may not recommend living there (tho don't rule it out...) I can highly recommend it for hols. Don't know what you're after but Phuket has some very beautiful beaches and remains gorgeous despite its 'built-upness'. Kata is very nice but i would recommend Surin. And Nai Thon beach and Layan beach... and I also love Bangkok but guess you don't want a city break. Do stop there for a couple of days tho if you do go. It's got lots going for it. Just do remember.... you WILL face financial rip-offs at every turn. I know this and love Siam in spite of it.

6. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

7. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Oh, bother.
    Just spent a week in Phuket for Chinese New Year break. Good group of nice resorts where you don't need to leave the immediate vicinity (walking distance) unless you want to (we stayed at Laguna: great pool/mini-waterpark, nice beach, great breakfast buffet/restaurants on the beach, baby elephants walking around). You can arrange excursions yourself (speedboat tour of smaller islands, jungle trek via elephant etc) and they will pick you up and drop you off at the resort. Also good nightlife for the younger or younger at heart in Phuket (or so I hear).

8. ljr

ljr New commenter

Have a look at Koh Samet (Samed) - in the bay south of Bangkok. I stayed there about 8 years ago.

It is not as fashionable as some places, but easy to get to, you can get away from the crowds (or we could then). It was easy to spend time in Bangkok & then have R&R without travelling too far.

9. We went a couple of years ago. My husband had been before and done the whole Koh Samui thing so was reluctant to go back to islands (although I would have loved to go there!). We had 9 days in Hua Hin (south of Bangkok, on peninsula). The beach wasn't great but we did day trips like climbing some mountain and canoeing - all good fun. On ourt way home we stopped in Bangkok for twonights and it was amazing, in the sense that I'd never been somewhere with so much hustle and bustle. If I was doing it again I'd definitely have Bagkok first though, as we were pretty chilled out from the beach stay and bangkok was quite exhausting.

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sangkhlburi, on th upper River Kwai, is a beautiful quiet spot in the west. Try the Burmese Inn, if it is still there. The Austrian [married to a Thai woman] co-owner does trips in his 4-wheel and is a fount of information.
    Far from the coast but a womderful location.

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Sangkhlaburi. Sorry.

To get there you go via Kanchanaburi [sp? can't be bothered to check!] which is famous for the bridge but not a particularly nice place to stay once you've paid the place its sad dues.

Alternatively, remember that Langkawi has 99 islands and is very beautiful.