1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thailand extends travel restrictions to June 30.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by grdwdgrrrl, May 17, 2020.

1. nikki2482

nikki2482 New commenter

I was due to start in Bangkok in April, flying with a husband and 2 children. I was told my contract would be honoured even if I couldnt fly due to Coronavirus. I had it in writing. You can guess the next bit.
    They simply changed my contract date to later in the year (July) for me to start then. With the extended ban, that has now also not become possible. Just waiting to hear further. We gave up jobs, house, schools for children, sold most of our stuff and are now living in a 1 bedroom house trying to get by.
    The problem you have is if you kick off and say you want the contract honoured they will just withdraw the offer completely. It is a difficult situation for all, including the schools.

2. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear that this has happened to you :(
    It should be a warning to those that have taken the head in the sand approach to recruitment and honouring offer letters this year though. Make sure you have savings to get you by if the fit hit the shan, and maybe consider staying put if you have a decent job right now.

kstainsb likes this.
  3. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

So sorry to hear that.

nikki2482 likes this.
  4. fordseries123

fordseries123 New commenter

Sad to hear this. I assume the school in question is not one of the 'big five'.

Things are beginning to open up here so fingers crossed you will be ok.

5. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Of course, as this means they have broken your contract, you could now look at other possibilities. This school has already proved to be unreliable and, while it might prove a decent option on the ground, you could also look for a better options.

grdwdgrrrl likes this.
  6. blitz18qb

blitz18qb New commenter

Handed in my notice yesterday. It’s not the first time I’ve resigned from a job with nothing concrete to go to. The school emailed on Thursday with details of how they plan to proceed. Sadly I’m old stool...I trust and take people at their word....until proven otherwise. Life’s meant to be exciting.... The safe option isn’t always the right option. Hope it works out for everybody.

nikki2482 likes this.
  7. nikki2482

nikki2482 New commenter

I wouldn't know if it's one of the big 5. I dont think so. It's based in Wangthonglang. I can walk away because of breach of contract or apply for other places but there is still no guarantee I could fly by August. ‍♀️

8. quinnsafe

quinnsafe New commenter

Hi there,
    I have sent you a private message around this. Hope this helps a little.
    Thanks

9. 8Merlin8

8Merlin8 New commenter

Can someone tell me what the big 5 schools are? I assume these are what I have heard are their 1 schools. What schools are they? I am rubbish at deciphering code names haha

10. quinnsafe

quinnsafe New commenter

I will Private Message you about this :)

11. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

School started yesterday, for some. Talking to others they have been to Hua Hin, Pattaya, Rayong and even further South. It looks like the airlines may not be flying but everything else is opening up. Also @8Merlin8 times have changed quite a bit over the past few years, schools which would have nestled happily within the title that you use have become overcrowded and their results have dropped, not sure what the "top 5" looks like exactly now but I would hazard that it is different from when I first began here.

( I normally set a countdown around now for the hols, but seeing as we have been off since the beginning of March, what is the point?)

Perce

12. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Main point - if that is your real name and your own picture, you should change it as soon as you can (the admins will do that if you contact them directly.) School management do look at posts here and might be able to identify you....

Beagles111 likes this.
  13. muddyfox_20

muddyfox_20 New commenter

Oh please, school management don't read these posts, there are about 40 regulars on here and a bunch of people who make one post then disappear. The level of self importance on here is amazing.

14. hotwings1

hotwings1 New commenter

Resignation in. Fingers crossed now!

bobscat likes this.