1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thailand extends travel restrictions to June 30.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by grdwdgrrrl, May 17, 2020.

1. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

I meant those displaced western / western trained (not all westerners are white!) teachers from China- they are many.

2. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

There are over 100 International schools in Bangkok. About 5 or 6 have been around for a long time, 20 plus years, and these are the ones to which I refer. They have very deep pockets, with the exception of 1 are non profit and all have a hard earned reputation to preserve. A plethora of new schools have sprung up in recent years, some with illustrious British public school names, I wouldn't trust these as far as I could throw them, very little actual oversight from the mother school and owned by Thai Magnates who look at them as money spinners rather that seats of education. The first schools will honour contracts, I know that for certain. The second, may well not.

Mind you, how exactly are all of these displaced ex-Chinese school teachers going to get here? As I said in my original post, it isn't just like turning on a tap aeroplanes these days do not fly when empty.

Let's see shall we?

Perce

3. bobbingtoncrescent

bobbingtoncrescent New commenter

I’m wondering, what are people’s opinion on whether the Thai land border with Malaysia will be open come the summer? Both countries currently have the disease under relative control.

4. percy topliss

Inter provincial travel is still banned in Thailand. However, we are hoping that that will be knocked on the head soon. Otherwise head for Sungai Kolok and swim the river.

Perce

5. IndigoViolence

@percy topliss Deep pockets only run as far roll numbers. The big IB one has been well documented for struggling lately the one on the outskirts of BKK- their Mother is very influential and a great public champion of international schools. The central one that rhymes with mist is probably still the number 1 imo. The river slide bank is elite and Thai with hardly any expats. The one that has dual campuses also has a very rich Mother but a loopy daughter who has overstretched the budget with her Nut campus.

All the above- parents will dictate their desires and the schools will bend.

The displaced teachers are already there-
    fled China during their outbreak and couldn’t or didn’t and still can’t go back.

6. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

The Nut one? With a campus in Thong lo? So far they’re honouring contracts and salaries and flight benefits.

7. IndigoViolence

I didn’t say they weren’t- I said the Mother & her daughter don’t have deep pockets (because of the new campus) and will bow to influence. Parents will demand face to face teaching and they will find a local hire. That’s my point. I’m sure they have every intention of contract honoring but things change. That’s all.

8. grdwdgrrrl

Like I said, so far it’s ok. Another close by school told their staff that salaries are frozen and no bonuses. That’s a big organization that is also stretched with all their newly acquired schools. And, I’m a local hire. But, teachers bounce around the international scene here. So lots of local hires. Unless you meant locals being hired to teach and then I would say not unless they had no other “foreign” options.

9. IndigoViolence

No, I mean that international teachers who are in BKK (because they left China) can be hired in place of their overseas contracts who can’t get into Thailand.

So local hires.

10. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Local hires - salary only, or some benefits thrown in like flights etc?

Thailand now, cos you are there already, have visited the school, met the people, can start tomorrow, good place to live, or China, which you may or may not be able to get to at some point in the future, can't start for a while, food good if you are in the right place but expensive, and the way their international relations with everyone is deteriorating, the job may not happen at all.

Seems clear cut to me.

11. grdwdgrrrl

So, replacing the already hired overseas teachers with stranded teachers that are here? What?
    Or do you mean if those overseas hired teachers can’t get here then that seems reasonable. Or if overseas hired teachers back out then that also seems reasonable.

12. IndigoViolence

All of the above are possible possibilities.

Luvsskiing likes this.
  13. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

But also a lot of those teachers (I know some) are mid-contract, and a lot of those schools are "rent a name" (to coin Feb31's phrase) who won't look too kindly to them pinching staff from their more profitable China schools.

14. percy topliss

There is now so much rubbish on here that I do feel for the poor people who are hoping to get here in the summer. It would appear that a couple of people either work at dreadful schools or have nightmares about an uprising....

Interesting,

Perce

15. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

It also depends on where you are flying from. Spain has got its death rate down yesterday to 59, France to 54 in hospitals (they have a problem in their care homes like the UK, but while sad the deaths and infections are in the homes and not spreading outside) so those countries are more likely within Europe to be ones China will accept people from.

If you're in the UK or the US, you might have a longer wait.....

16. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

"There is now so much rubbish on here"

I agree. It's time everyone stopped reading anything except my posts.

;-)

BlueHues and percy topliss like this.
  17. hotwings1

hotwings1 New commenter

I emailed the Thai embassy in London earlier this week and received the below reply. No luck.

if you mean you would like to apply for visa by post. we can not issue visa for anyone at the moment until end of June. Could you please wait for our further information.

18. 8Merlin8

8Merlin8 New commenter

The school have said that
    The school have said any quarantine we have to do will likely be in a hotel. The question was asked what that might look like, e.g. we would be restricted to our rooms to which they said they didn’t know and would give us details when they find out.
    I am still hoping to fly out early August but we shall see what happens.

puggerchris likes this.
  19. grdwdgrrrl

I don't see that happening at the schools I know of. Not that those displaced teachers aren't trying.

20. grdwdgrrrl

Yeah Perce,
    I'm not sure where some people are getting their info. I know people at a lot of schools around here (including SLTs) and the worst I've heard is the salary freeze. In Phuket though, my friend has had a 50% salary cut. It's a newer school without a lot of built up resources.