1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Thailand extends travel restrictions to June 30.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by grdwdgrrrl, May 17, 2020.

1. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

And hopefully no further extensions.

bobscat likes this.
  2. Bangkokboundornot

Bangkokboundornot New commenter

Just saw this today as well. I'm supposed to be starting at a new school in Bangkok in August. They've asked us to come late July so that we can quarantine before the school year starts but how likely is it that we will get visas sorted and everything before then? And honestly it's looking more likely that Thailand would extend the ban for longer or have unrealistic hoops to jump through before you even get on the plane. Hugely disappointing and I already resigned my job in the UK before the situation looked so dire.

Anyone else in the same boat? Have schools given any more information about coming in? I would have feel better if they acknowledged that we might not come in until September/October and had a plan for that but they've actually said we need to be there earlier than planned!

3. bobscat

bobscat New commenter

In the same position, head teacher told me he is hoping for the best and planning for the worst- in his opinion, if we have to start term late, so be it. Contract will be honoured. So many fingers and toes crossed. Spoke to Thai embassy today in London and they have agreed to legalize posted documents needed for visa application. So all on track as far as that goes, it’s just the flights/borders

4. Jonny29102

Jonny29102 New commenter

Jonny is in the same boat. How far along in the visa process are you? This is my main concern at the moment as the embassies seem to be closed so I am unable to get the relevant paperwork legalised. I am presuming my school will not have an issue waiting for a month or two longer should I not be able to get into Thailand.

If they don't then I'll consider it a lucky escape that I managed to find out what a bunch of snakes they were prior to joining.

I have no issues about getting another job elsewhere if need be. I'm a Physics teacher and astonishingly attractive to men and women alike.
    Both qualities that go far on the international circuit

5. 8Merlin8

8Merlin8 New commenter

I’m in the same boat too. My school have also said they would honour my contract until I can get out there. I’ve had everything confirmed except visas and flights so I’m hoping to hear what they think might happen next in the next week or so.

It’s frustrating being in limbo but I guess there is nothing that can be done. I just hope I have enough to sort tenants so I can pay my mortgage!

6. blitz18qb

blitz18qb New commenter

Yes we're in the same boat - Me and the wife heading to Bangkok with x 2 children. She's already handed in her notice, mines due Friday. We're due to fly mid August but school have said if it's later, then it's later. Will get you out when we can. We actually spoke with a couple already employed with the school yesterday, they gave positive vibes and said that things were re opneing etc... They have sourced us someone to help with our youngest, so that's 1 thing off the list.

There's lot of dooms dayers on here....saying to stay put, wait until next year. No thanks, it's taken a lot to get to this point. We're in an alright position if the worst happens....feeling nervous confident, about it all.

Hope everyone stays safe and gets to where they need to be.

mightyb likes this.
  7. Bangkokboundornot

Bangkokboundornot New commenter

It's so up in the air right now. Interesting that other schools have given reassurances regarding coming into Thailand later. I might email the school and see what they say about this. Blitz, I am moving with my family as well and my wife also resigned from her job...such a stressful situation. Fortunately, we're in a good financial situation even if this contract falls through but have put a lot of thought into this move and we were looking forward to it.

Good luck to everyone! Still just a waiting game...

8. hotwings1

hotwings1 New commenter

Same boat here. Ebaying all our things ready to move out to Bangkok with our fingers crossed. We tried to start kicking off a visa application yesterday, but quickly hit the requirement for flight details, so met a dead end.

9. 8Merlin8

8Merlin8 New commenter

So I received an email from my school this morning. They are still having us fly out at the beginning of August so that we are out of quarantine by the proposed INSET days. They have organised an online meeting for us to ask questions tomorrow night so I should know more then.
    I’m sad that the experience of getting out there will be so different to the norm but I am still looking forward to being there and getting started.

10. hotwings1

hotwings1 New commenter

Hi, Any ideas what quarantine will be in, hotel, accommodation etc? We are a family of five. Could be an interesting 14 days.

11. 8Merlin8

8Merlin8 New commenter

I assume it’ll be in our own condo but that’s a question I will be asking during the meeting.
    I’m going as a single so 14 days in a new country alone doesn’t sound hugely appealing either

12. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Good luck with Thailand. It's a great place to work.

Make sure your work visa is in order before you go, and not a tourist visa + a 'we can sort out your work visa later' promise. Thailand is one of the counties in Asia that takes getting caught working with the wrong visas very seriously. They have regular crack downs and encourage Thais to report anyone they know who is working illegally. Given how jeolousy works there (Thais earn a lot less than ex-pat teachers) it takes very little encouragement for someone to report you. You can be jailed (your worst nightmare), fined, deported and banned for a number of years.

Remember. If you get caught, it's you who will be doing the time, not the school or agent who said your work visa can be sorted later.

You've been warned!

BlueHues likes this.
  13. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

@blitz18qb yep lots of doomsayers in here- mostly due to experience. But if it’s your first time, you will learn the international school politics and game playing are much worse than any UK school with contracts withdrawn, staff fired for nothing, despotic owners who are well connected to government etc; and you are at the will and mercy of the school.

Yes your schools have said and have done / are doing the right things but anything can happen. Visa and flights are all out of anyone’s control. There is nothing to stop a school withdrawing a contract on Sept 1st having found a local hire- of which there are many in BKK- as you aren’t able to get into the country.

Lastly, BKK has a plethora of good and great schools mixed with not sos but parents have a choice so numbers aren’t guaranteed especially as the economic situation bites. Thailand is hostile to all foreigners and lots of companies have relocated so expat kid numbers are down.

Follow Richard Barrow on Twitter for his helpful insights.

14. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Two things - one, what I read was that the Thai govt seem to be implying that this will be the last ban and that flights can start from the beginning of July (that doesn't actually mean that there will be flights, of course!)

Second, there are actually a lot of teachers from China stuck in Thailand who now can't get out!

15. percy topliss

percy topliss Established commenter

The good schools will honour their contracts. I know that mine has already told staff coming in that this is the case. Thailand has done incredibly well in keeping down the transmission of CoVid even though we have many thousands of Chinese tourists here well into March and I feel that this ban will probably be the last, not least because there are people here who are quite literally in the breadline every day, tourism is their livelihood and they will want to get some people, even locals and expats, back soon. At the moment we cannot even cross inter provincial borders so our favourite hotel for weekend breaks, about 2 hours away on the coast south of Pattya is out, hopefully that will end in June so that we can go to an island for a month or two. My major worry as someone coming in would not be the Thai government banning flights but the airlines themselves. The day our ban here ends will not, I fear, be the day that BA or Qantas, Emirates or Thai decide to put back their 2 flights a day, that could well take until Christmas and I think that that is why the better schools are telling those that they have employed not to worry. If you have signed a contract with a school here and have not heard anything I suggest you mail the Head and get something in writing, someone mentioned snakes in a post above, there are certainly a few of those about. Good luck everyone, feel free to PM me if you need to ask anything more direct.

Perce

16. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Indeed. Those of us who know Thailand well and have visited a few times a year for years as well as worked there know that it has been steadily less happy with having so many foreigners in the country in recent years, despite being the world's adult playground. The reported average salary is only £6000 approx a year, and there is a lot of resentment of ex-pats, retirees and general any cash-laden tourists. A huge number of workers in Thailand, however, live hand to mouth, day by day. Look beneath the surface and you'll see that it's actually a very poor country, a kind of banana republic. Forget the 'land of smiles' nonsense these days. The Thai Government is essentially a military government and a confused one at that, constantly changing visas and laws from one day to the next without actually telling anyone! There is a rising middle class in Thailand, and the fact that 20% of the GNP is based around their sons and daughters dancing naked around chrome poles, working in beer bars and generally selling themselves doesn't sit well in the country. Many of us suspect the C19 crisis is going to be the catalyst for change in Thailand. There is a love hate relationship with the Chinese and other foreigners and racism, dual pricing and no-go areas cos you are white, black, Chinese, not Thai are alive and well in the kingdom, and there's a growing resentment over standards in private fee-paying schools and the vast majority of the population, as well as the salaries ex-pats are paid compared to local teachers - which is why your visa needs to be in order before you go - Thais think nothing of dobbing in someone if they can!

It's still a good place to work if you get in one of the better schools, the right visa and the package is good, and still a great place to live, great food, beaches, islands and transport, and for the next few months at least, you'll be able to breath the air.

PS Never seen a snake in perhaps 50 visits!

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  17. IndigoViolence

IndigoViolence New commenter

@percy topliss contracts are only honoured for as long as parents are happy with an online teacher. If the school can get a face to face teacher and the school is open, how many schools are going to wait for one stuck somewhere?

Plenty of Chinese school teachers looking for something stable and will be happy to take a BKK job.

rouxx likes this.
  18. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

That would be my concern too.

19. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

That also relies on Thai middle class parents being prepared to have their kids taught by someone with an Asian face rather than a Western one.

20. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

No way the flights are going to be full for years to come. 2 flights per day with social distancing would not be a lot of passengers. Also, scientific evidence is contradictory on the spread of covid19 in an air conditioned plane. Might be that flights get banned altogether. I am not scare mongering.
    Read this.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/01/how-coronavirus-spreads-on-a-plane/

Might be that there will only be passengers in window seats.