1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

TH having issues?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by joelivingstone, Jan 30, 2020.

  1. gainly

    gainly Lead commenter

    The TH website claims that 95% of tutors are on the finder's fee model. This seems to be about right as a quick scan of tutors in my area shows they almost all have a message at the top saying "This tutor pays no commission". If the TH system can't cope with paying the 5% of tutors currently on the commission system, I dread to think what will happen when they move the other 95% onto it.
     
  2. joelivingstone

    joelivingstone New commenter

    Update:

    I have been paid now.

    They have finally responded to an email, explaining that the lesson from 3 weeks ago wasn't paid because the payment failed - the student must have cancelled the payment through their bank. This makes sense because that student happened not to like that lesson. However I have now been paid on schedule for a lesson I did with a different student last week.

    I was scared because I had read some reviews on things like trustpilot about tutors not getting paid, and then I wasn't getting paid either, but it now seems fine to me.

    However the system forcing you into booking around 10 lessons from the outset and having to cancel them if it doesn't work out with the student seems quite rough as it's something like 2-3 strikes and you're out in terms of how low that makes your booking score. I got a bit unlucky with a couple of my new students in that regard that I got through TH when the system changed but maybe I'm in the minority there and it's working fine for most people.

    I would love to know if anyone knows whether their commission rate drops as you book more lessons like TF's model?
     
  3. bramblesarah

    bramblesarah Occasional commenter

    Thank you for updating us. It is very useful information for those of us who are not on the new model. If students only need to book in blocks of 10. Then you could tell the parents after that they can book with you direct. Do you get the pick the dates? I was just wondering what would happen if you had a holiday on week 8? That would be around £75 per student which is obviously a lot more than the £20 they were getting for selling details.
     
  4. joelivingstone

    joelivingstone New commenter

    Yes the dates and times are fully under the tutor's control, the only thing they 'force' is that you have to book a block of lessons as you said. If the student goes on holiday, or you have to cancel, then your booking score will suffer as a result and you'll go down in the search ranking. It's possible TH might cancel it for you and avoid that though, I don't know, though they never pick up the phone and take a while to reply to emails!

    Yes they are getting more money this way no doubt, they are moving towards the TF model which I wouldn't mind so much if they could pick up the phone once in a while..
     
    bramblesarah likes this.
  5. gainly

    gainly Lead commenter

    Thanks for the update. It's worrying that the student can cancel the payment after they've had the lesson if they decide they weren't happy with the lesson. An unscrupulous person could exploit this to get free lessons.
     
  6. Lespaul101

    Lespaul101 New commenter

    Sounds like TH haven’t a clue what they are doing. They’ve just got £’s in their eyes and don’t seem to care what kind of service they are giving.
    Everybody moved over to the new system should make private arrangements with their students at the earliest opportunity.
     
  7. bramblesarah

    bramblesarah Occasional commenter

    I get why they are forcing the 10 lessons but there are so many situation where a student may want less than 10 lessons.
     
  8. langteacher

    langteacher Occasional commenter

    I certainly won't be taking on any students with them under those conditions
     

Share This Page