1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TH having issues?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by joelivingstone, Jan 30, 2020.

1. joelivingstone

joelivingstone New commenter

Recently TH has made a huge change from a finders fee model to taking a cut of every lesson, requiring every lesson to be booked through their website.

I am having some issues with TH and I was wondering if anyone else was in a similar position. My issues are:

1 - I'm not getting paid the following week on Friday as they claim, I have not been paid yet through their new system for lessons taught 3 weeks ago.
    2 - they are not responding to emails
    3 - they are never picking up the phone.

It's a shame because I've got a lot of clients through TH and have a lot of good reviews on my profile. However I'm wondering if this is a sinking ship I should jump off or whether I should just wait, keep putting my lessons into it and hoping to get paid one day..? Not sure how long I can stand to keep that up.. I would love to know if anyone was having success with the platform at the moment.

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

It hasn't affected me yet. The new system was introduced for new tutors last April and more recently extended to include all tutors who tutor online. They are planning to extend the system to all tutors but it hasn't happened yet. The fact that they can't make the system work for a relatively small number of tutors suggests there will be even more chaos when they try to extend to everyone.

3. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Have you been paid at all through the new system?

4. joelivingstone

I see, that's annoying because if I'd had the choice to stop being an online tutor and stay on the old system I would have taken it! My current students through them are all in-person...

No I haven't! And they are not responding to emails or phone calls.. I'm really wondering if they are in crisis over there.

5. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

I'd be tempted to have a quiet chat to your tutees about them coming direct to you. TH have had their pound of flesh and aren't maintaining their side of the unilateral change in T&Cs.

6. joelivingstone

The trouble is, their new system forces me to book multiple lessons with each new student and if I decide to do as you suggest then I would have to delete those lessons from the TH system to stop the client being charged, however that will result in my 'booking score' being lowered so I would pretty much never get any clients through TH again.

That would be unfortunate because TH has been a reliable source of clients for me over the years, but I don't want to keep working without certainty of being paid so I'm in a bit of a bind...

7. phatsals

I don't think it would have that much of an impact. You would be working direct, paid direct at least from a few and that would only be if it was what they wanted.

I only briefly worked via an agency that wanted 25%. Yes, they bombarded me with potential clients but I had enough, the majority came from word of mouth. 25% is far too high, delayed payment completely unacceptable, at least it is to me.

8. joelivingstone

I only tutor two pretty niche subjects - Philosophy and RS A level - full time, so I need all the client sources I can get unfortunately!

9. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

That's a shame. There is a previous thread about TH here.
    https://community.tes.com/threads/well-known-tuition-platform-changing.797788/

It seems only tutors who also offer online tuition received the message about the new system and you could have opted out of online and stayed on the old system for now. However they are apparently planning to move all tutors onto the new system, so it would have only postponed the change.

10. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Could you explain to the clients that you aren't being paid and ask them to contact TH and say they no longer require tuition? I imagine this would mean you wouldn't have to delete those lessons from the system. You could offer them a reduced fee as an incentive and still earn at least the same.

Lespaul101 likes this.
  11. joelivingstone

That does sound like a good option, though TH are not picking up the phone or replying to emails!

12. phatsals

If the tutees stop paying TH then that's that. You wouldn't have to contact TH at all. Why not speak to your tutees and sound them out, if they are in agreement to deal direct with you then end of story. You can stay with TH to pick up more students but it seems a no brainer to me.

13. joelivingstone

Trouble is, TH have their bank details and will take the money automatically so long as the bookings are live.

14. phatsals

No. If you cancel via the bank that's it, done.

You may be talking about Continuous Payment Authority. It used to be the case where they could only be cancelled by the claimant, not the payer. That was stopped some time ago, now, if you cancel with your bank and they send a payment, they have to repay you.

15. joelivingstone

Ok great, I'll consider that thanks!

16. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Good luck. Perhaps it would be worth temporarily deactivating your TH account until you get paid for the lessons you've already done, hoping you will be paid eventually. You don't want to keep getting more students from them if you're not going to be paid.

17. jean_daligault

jean_daligault New commenter

My last TH (online) student had mistakenly booked repeating sessions. I had no way to cancel, and neither did she, TH support took weeks to answer. I had to cancel each session manually, my rating plummeted.

TH is by far the most dreadful interface I've seen. Tutors can't book sessions, modifying sessions is a nightmare, ... I've wasted so much time trying to get things fixed there :( I hope they go out of business soon, so that we get students through proper platforms.

The only thing going for them is that their 25% fee is actually 25% of the tutor's rate, whereas other sites use 25% of the total, ie 33% of the tutor's rate.

18. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Not getting paid is totally unacceptable. If they don't up their game it will be good news for FT. I also like TF but I know I am in the minority. They charge me 12.5% but always pay on time and the phone is always answered by a friendly and professional person. I'm still getting loads of inquiries from TH and am on the old payment system. If they start to charge me a 25% commission I won't complain I will just up my fees to compensate, if they don't pay or pay late I will close my account. Simples!

19. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Can't unions help-surely there is a union for private tutors as well as schoolteachers?

20. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

How? These are private companies offering a service to tutors and students. You choose either to use them or not. If they don't pay what is owed the small claims court will sort it.