1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

th and f confusion - how do i sort?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shetland-kat, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Hi

I have some children all through my age groups who confuse the pronunciation of th with f. (Fursday, Efan, free instead of Thursday, Ethan or three etc) I correct them and get them to use their tongue to say 'th' rather than their lip to say 'f' but is there anything else i can do??

Thanks
    Kat

2. Hi

I have some children all through my age groups who confuse the pronunciation of th with f. (Fursday, Efan, free instead of Thursday, Ethan or three etc) I correct them and get them to use their tongue to say 'th' rather than their lip to say 'f' but is there anything else i can do??

Thanks
    Kat

3. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Not much really. Just re-modelling pronunciation is about all you can do. Where are you based? Is it simply a dialect thing? All you can really do is model dialect, and try to get them to understand the difference between dialect and Received Pronunciation. Speaking with a dialect isn't speaking incorrectly and shouldn't be considered as more wrong than RP.

The main thing is that they appreciate the difference when it comes to writing and spelling.

4. Hi

Thanks for that. I am based in Shetland and its not a dialect thing.

I will keep modelling.

Thanks for your reply.

Kat

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Sorry Kat, should have guessed where you were from from your username.

My reply wasn't meant to be snotty in tone, apologies if it came over that way. Always hard to tell in these posts I think.

6. I didnt take it as being snotty at all! Was just glad that someone replied and that im doing pretty much what i can anyway.

Thanks!

:)

7. How old are the kids? /th/ is one of the last sounds that most kids learn to say and often doesn't appear until primary age.

8. i have one who's 10, one who's 8 and two who are 6!

(one teacher primary)

9. It's not just chlidren who mispronounce th. My 6 year old daughter was ill and missed a spelling test so the TA was asked to take her out give it her seperately. She came home very upset saying that she had got them all wrong even though we had spent ages learning them; the TA had pronounced all the 'th's as f and my daughter wrote the words down as she heard them rather than how she had learnt them!

I think you just have to carry on modelling, I also find asking older children to find a word in the dictionary helps reinforce the correct spelling.

Good luck

10. Can they actually hear the difference? If they hear f when it should be th at home and from friends, they may not be able to distinguish.

11. we talk about lizard sound (th) stick your tongue outand rabbit sound (f) with your top teeth out like a rabbit works brilliantly for yr1/yr2 and clears up any confusion- a colleague goes one further and (v) is a rabbit on a motorbike making a vvvvvv noise!!

Hopes this helps a bit - works for us and kids love it.

12. EBD35

EBD35 Occasional commenter

Or you could just have them move to London and then they'd sound like so many of my class!!!! ;)

13. Try cupping your hands over your ears when you make the two sounds. The voiced 'v' sound will sound 'buzzy'. The unvoiced sound won't. Try it - you'll hear what I mean. Use a mirror when you demonstrate the tongue and teeth positions - the learner needs to see what they are doing as well as feel the difference. Someone on here once recommended a 'hear yourself phone' which they said was helpful - here's the link http://www.tts-group.co.uk/Product.aspx?cref=TTSPR834986

14. After months of "toof thairies", fings, "thingers and fums" "funder". We spend a few moments holding our thumbs close close to our lips and trying to touch it with our tongues to get the th sound. Mine needed a bit more than just modelling the sound.

15. I wish I could sort this and also w for r. I use the tongue/ teeth strtaegy as well and we look at the Thrass phoneme machine so they can see what their mouth should look like...
    http://www.phonememachine.com/ I worry about pressing it to much, I don't want to make them paranoid. The problem is spelling.
    I find that until they can pick the correct spelling of words from a list e.g. wiv, wif, with, whiv or thing, fing, somefink, they can't spell it.
    Most of out parents are supportive, but some get really agressive if I suggest that the way their child speaks is affecting their spelling. (sometimes it's the way the parents speak as well).

16. I also say that words with 'th' are the only words you can say where you can stick your tongue out at the teacher which my Year 3 like. Makes them think about the sounds cos they think they are being naughty when they say it. Just have to keep remodelling it!

17. We spent time going over the difference betweeen V and f tody - lower set Yr1. By the end of it I was getting stressed myself.
    I love the idea of cupping hands over your ears to hear the buzz sound. Will try it out tomorrow.
    Thanks

18. thanks very much for all the replies!!!

19. My HT and I have howled about this one.

It's a bit cheeky if not more.....

We have always said our children would soon leanr the difference if we told them to.......

thuck oth !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. mondayblues

mondayblues New commenter

One of my sons had speech problems when younger. Speech therapist way to differentiate these two sounds were th is tongue between front teeth. and f is through lips, 'sort of fuzzy'. Hope this makes sense.