1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

TEXTILES Summer exam theme

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by reiki51, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hi everyone teaching textiles and preparing your students for the exam.
    I was wondering if any of you had thoughts about what to suggest you get your students to design in the exam paper as it just says 'product'. In the past they have been much more specific?
    I am just thinking anything at all is going to be ok, or do you feel it should be more about something which could be sold in a shop? I was then wondering if it was a shop like friends of the earth, but theve not mentioned environmental issues which would give us a clue, or am i being too worried?

2. Hi everyone teaching textiles and preparing your students for the exam.
    I was wondering if any of you had thoughts about what to suggest you get your students to design in the exam paper as it just says 'product'. In the past they have been much more specific?
    I am just thinking anything at all is going to be ok, or do you feel it should be more about something which could be sold in a shop? I was then wondering if it was a shop like friends of the earth, but theve not mentioned environmental issues which would give us a clue, or am i being too worried?

3. I have mine doing bags and cushions as they have a good knowledge of the construction side. I did a re-write of last years paper for them and put forward the scenario that they would be designing for the gift shop at the Eden Project in conjunction with the rainforest alliance. W e included thermochromic and microencapsulation in the designs. I also threw in some 'curve ball' questions about Tencel as i noticed that this is in the AQA textbook and would fit very well with the theme. Totally agree though, modern is so vague. Think the examiners are going to have it tough this year!!
    Any other ideas gratefully received here!!

4. True, its really vague and it's making my kids a little nervous! I've had them designing a whole range of random things, but my gut instantly thought babies play mat??? I reckon there is less chance of it being a garment, or is that just wishful thinking!?
    I think the environmental issues are a good call however so I'm covering that too, I feel I've hardly seen mine recently as a result of exams clashing with my timetable :( Nervous!!