1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Textiles Key Stage 3

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by sc86, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Hi
    <font face="Calibri">Currently working on the new SOW for years 7,8 &9. Have some good ideas but just wondering what everyone else is currently delivering as really want to bring a new fresh vibe to it!! We have 1 lesson a week for 18 weeks </font><font face="Calibri">Would love to hear from anyone!</font><font face="Calibri">Thanks </font>

2. For year 7, I have moved away from a full design and make project, with the intention of introducing each part of the design process in a systematic way throughout the year.
    Using a model of 1) brief, 2) research, 3) ideas 4) plans 5) manufacture 6) evaluation, I introduce each skill in reverse order.
    ? Students begin with a product analysis: introducing evaluation techniques.
    ? Secondly, they make a mobile phone holder to a given set of making plans: introducing manufacture. They evaluate the phone holder using skills taught in the product analysis.
    ? Thirdly, they plan the production of a cover for their school organiser using a given working drawing and prototype: introducing planning. They make the cover using their manufacturing skills (taught previously), and evaluate the result (again, as taught previously).
    ? Research and Generating Ideas is introduced next, incorporating evaluation of design ideas (no practical this time)
    ? Finally, students identify specification points in various given design briefs, adding their own points also.
    ? Along the way, we have one or two theory lessons on fibres and fabrics.
    It?s by no means perfect, but I do feel that I am now teaching my groups the key skills of Design and Technology - and giving them the opportunity to develop them in use - rather than just throwing a project at them and seeing how they do.

3. OK, somebody tell me how to get line breaks in my posts!!!!!!!!

4. Hi
    As head of textiles I have a wide range of projects which I swap around from time to time.
    Yr 7 begins with a 6 lesson introduction to threading and using the machines. They love this - we do lots of samples which they stick in their books and then they are awarded their Sewing Machine Driving Licence.
    We then do a 12 lesson project where they design and make a drawstring bag. they like this. we do them full size. they create a design for the front which is applied using applique and machine embroidery. The project includes the skills of applique, machine embrodery, overlocking to neaten the insides, creating a casing to hold the drawstrings, inserting tabs to hold drawstring on lower edge, joining back to front with a seam and threading drawstring. As research we look at fabrics for the bags, product analysis, size and they do image research for ideas to go on the front. Some of the results are amazing. All are good. we rarely have unfinished work. they love it and I have had year 9/10 boys come up to me with their PE bags and show me they are still using them for their PE kit - and year 8's tell me they took them camping and used them as storage for their sweets etc.
    Yr 8 Projects -cushions and mini monsters ( cushions are either 3D food themed, patchwork or tie dyed and quilted and decorated dependent on what I decide to do that year) Mini monsters is great fun.
    Yr 9 Include: block printed beach shorts, Waistcoats, Fleece Hats and Sock Monsters
    Sock Monsters is a big favourite and very individual. waistcoats is great for teaching GCSE skills. Shorts is good providing they come up with a good block print. Hats I usually reserve for my lower ability groups who struggle with the concept of straight grainlines and darts.

Hope these help.

5. Out of interest how many sewing machines do you have? I've never gone down the route of doing the sewing machine driving licence as I think students would need a machine each, or do you get them to work in pairs?
    Also what do you do about charging? Last 2 years I've had my money cut so I'm having to think carefully over what we should be making.

6. I have 12 sewing machines and usually have 3 overlockers going at a time though we do have 6 ( 2 of which are actually mine!)
    They do work in pairs and it works really well. I get them to choose their sewing machine buddy and tell them make sure its not a machine hog! we have groups of 21/22 so it's ok. I break the threading up into chunks because its too much all in one go, so we do winding bobbins first and we all check the quality - so they know what a properly wound bobbin looks like! then we do the top thread and fishing for the bobbin etc.
    Then they take the dog for a walk - eg sew randomly (with thread) just getting used to the machine. I would never consider not doing this introduction because they would really struggle with out it. obviously i cover the H and S of the machines as we go.
    we then cover:
    straight and curved lines
    corners (eg sewing shapes) and circles
    seams
    embroidery stitches (our machines do lettering as well and they love this - they write notes to their mums and dads)
    satin stitch (zig zag - show them how to change the width and length)
    overlocking
    This gives them a go at all of the basic skills needed for the bag project. Even the weaker ones are fine with it all - in fact they are often better than the most able.
    I do charge for all projects - always have. We cost them and I ask for a donation. The drawstring bags for eg are a &pound;1. It doesn't really cover the cost but I would rather have a &pound;1 from all 22 children than &pound;2 from 5 of them. 99% of the time they have no problem with making a contribution in fact they expect it - an by yr 9 just ask how much it is. This also teaches them that nothing is free - which some may say is harsh but materials are very expensive. Have found Fabricland is very good supplier for fabrics if bought in quantity. (was using Epra but their supplies are not so varied these days).

7. Also meant to say - they absolutely love overlocking!
    And also our sewing machines have speed controls which is useful for those who are worried - nerves don't usually last long though and the boys are soon behaving as though the are racing car drivers. I do use lots of references to driving while I am teaching this to make it fun as well.

8. Wow - you must have weeks with them. I have my group for 9 weeks (very max) for 2 hour lessons a week. I would love to do all that but just cannot fit it all in. [​IMG]

9. I have the same - well less really because we have 9 weeks 1 double lesson a week so 140mins/week the introduction takes 3 double lessons. the bag project takes 6. It is possible to do the bag in 3 if you miss out some parts...I just lost 3 double lessonsthis rotation for various school activties i just got the students to work a bit faster, and they came in for one lunchtime as well.

10. I notice then your lessons are 70mins long and not 60 mins. Having doubles makes all the difference. I had this at a previous school. An advisor once said to me that having doubles effectively added 50% more to their time. I'd so like to have doubles - it is also less stressful as you don't have all the getting out and putting away, checking machines before the next lot arrivein no minutes!!
    Food in an hour I think must be even more stressful (never taught it) particualry if the students are arriving late because they have to walk far because the site is big/split

11. Lol yeah I can't add up they are doubles of 2 x 50mins so not 140mins don't know where my brain was at when I wrote that - i put it down to end of termitus!
    We used to have singles - 1hr with 5min break - as you say stressful for sorting out the room and checking. Then our lessons were cut to 50mins. the first year this was a nightmare because we had no doubles so 50mins with GCSE and A'level classes was a nightmare - i just used to roll them into lunch or after school wherever I could. And with KS3 I was tearing my hair out. every single project ended up with students working at lunchtime and then we as a faculty got accused of 'hiding away', which we do anyway. Anyway now we generally have 3 x doubles a day although year 8 and 9 have a single as well but looking at my next year's timetable I can see that I have a free or break before or after each of the singles which is great, and will lower the stress levels. This year had a Wednesday where I have 6 singles of 50mins - nightmare! I had to ask my technician to come down at the end of every lesson to help get everything cleared away - she does not really do in classroom support for me, although she is brilliant and would if I asked her!
    Our biggest problem is missed lessons. We have parent's eves in the afternoon, cross curricular off timetable events, numerous projecty type things, masses of trips out, in school theatre groups, school camp etc etc etc. This causes real problems with rotations, and I think we are the only subject affected so no-one else understands the problem. We always have students in at lunchtime to finish practical work.

12. Constant luchtimes etc are unsustainable. We D&T teachers are sooooooooooo rescuers. In the end we pay the price. I remind my self each year enough is enough and then land up making up time lost by students agin with them. Controlled assessments can turn into a nightmare at KS4 with all this extra stuff happening!! Trouble is I'm getting toooo old! But don't lets start about retirement now!